Fabian's Reviews > The Void

The Void by Brett J. Talley

Jul 16, 12

Read from June 22 to 29, 2012

I received a free paperback copy through Goodreads First Reads Giveaways.

The book presents its readers with a novel plot. Interstellar travel is made possible, but only at the expense of travelers incurring in "terrifying" nightmares. This nightmares are personal, recurring and may induce lots of different results in their sufferer.

With this premise, Brett J. Talley develops a book that feels like a movie. Many times while reading, not only did I picture the scene (this happens frequently while reading), but I also felt that the pace was right, producing suspense and relief in the right moments. This is not a horror book, but a SF one with elements of suspense. It can be compared to a M. Night Shyamalan movie, where the horrendous is not there to scare, but to advance the plot.

Moreover, the characters are well developed, slowly letting us know about their past and motivations through their dreams. These, when read, appear as actual nightmares which is to say, they are not crowded with horrors but present an incongruous unsettling situation in the middle of a familiar one.

Because of these, I highly recommend this book to SF readers, but also to those people who like books that keep them in the edge of their seats while reading.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Void.

06/25/2012 page 109