Alcieta's Reviews > Salvaged

Salvaged by Stefne Miller

Jun 23, 2012

liked it
Read from June 22 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy

A sweet story that tackles some relevant issues for teens. I enjoyed it, but at times it read more like a fairytale than reality where love is concerned. I wasn't convinced of Riley's affection. I don't know why, since it was so adamant, but something seemed off about it. Like a line of plastic resistance between what he felt and what he should have.

Personally, I thought the writing style was too dialogue heavy and not descriptive enough. (I did enjoy the dialogue, though. I laughed out loud a couple times.) Something that threw me for a loop was with all the touching and contact Riley and Attie had, they weren't affected enough by it. What I mean is he's always kissing her wrist or her forehead or taking her hand, holding her, and the author rarely describes how that makes Attie feel. I know I'd feel a great deal if I were her! Instead, it just happens, they go on with their conversation like it didn't.

And then later on in the story, the author sorta crams the idea of "you touching me affects me so deeply" down our throats, but even then, it's not quite as realistic as it could be. I just didn't buy it, though I'm probably the only one. (Or "probly", as Riley would say... heh)

Overall, I did enjoy this book, but unfortunately, I tired of it. Especially where Riley's 'undying affection and devotion' to Attie was concerned. I wanted to believe it, but I think it could use an injection of realism. (Is that an oxymoron? A realistic guy acting like Riley does? heh.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvaged.