Sahil Raina's Reviews > The Rise of Endymion

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, fantasy

I read Endymion and Rise of Endymion together, so this review will cover both.

Overall, I liked books 3 and 4 but not nearly as much as 1 & 2. A major problem I had with them was the feeling I got that I was reading a fantasy/scifi book rather than a scifi book. The first 2 books had been straight-up space opera science fiction, and some of the best of that genre that I have read. So, reading this set with that expectation, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed.

Putting aside that criticism, I think the narrative was solid. I think the idea to write as Raul was clever. What I appreciated most about these books was how Simmons slowly wove an entirely different setting out of the events that transpired in the first two books. I think it worked surprisingly well. The socio-political commentary was a bit heavy handed at times, but I guess I didn't mind that too much.

In the end, I think what hurt these books, in mynmind, was that they tried to do what Heinlein did with Stranger in a Strange Land: develop a world view to share with readers spun out of the plot and characters of the books. I am not sure if they succeeded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of Endymion.