Jackie's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Sep 24, 14

Read from September 16 to 23, 2014

Despite my English major background, I'd never had much interest in Faulkner, until I read my sister-in-law's review of The Sound and the Fury. So I put it on my to-read list, and there it sat for a long time. When I recently went to Audible, looking for something from my to-read list that was reasonably priced, this is what I found. I didn't realize until just now rereading my sister-in-law's review that she listened to the same edition I did.

Initially, I thought, "I'm never gonna get through this...I can't follow it! This was a bad choice for an audio book." Because the first chapter is told through the voice of a mentally disabled boy/man, the fact that the narrative jumps back and forth over a nearly 20-year period is made double confusing. The upside is that I was made to listen much more carefully than I often find myself doing when listening to an audio book. Eventually, though, I settled into Faulkner's--and the narrator's--rhythm and had little trouble untangling the knot with which I started.

At one point I thought, "This is the way this should be experienced--having it read to you," because the prose is not so much prose as poetry, and I'm not sure I would have picked up on that had I been reading it for myself. This is not so much a novel as an epic poem or maybe an abbreviated Canterbury Tales.

I'm very glad I finally took the Faulkner plunge and suspect there is more in my future.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.

09/16/2014 marked as: currently-reading
09/24/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Penny (new)

Penny This is one I have not read and for some reason the only Faulkner I have listed in my goodreads Read list is "A Fable" (1954). My review of that is, "Did Faulkner ever use punctuation? I would guess that this entire allegory has fewer than eighty sentences in it!! But it was facinating...An allegorical story of World War I set in the trenches in France and dealing ostensibly with a mutiny in a French regiment."
I can see how listening to it as opposed to reading it might be a HUGE help.