Jennifer's Reviews > Frisky Business

Frisky Business by Clodagh Murphy

Jun 23, 12

I own a copy

This hilarious story is brought to us by Clodagh Murphy, a relatively new writer on the scene, this is her third book. While beginning this book I had my doubts that I would be stepping into a cheesy tongue in cheek typically chick litty book but boy was I surprised. It was so funny from the get go I instantly fell in love. Clodagh Murphy has taken a huge risk in delving into the world of sex with this one and I congratulate her on a risk worth taking.
Romy Fitzgerald is a newly single mother after a one night stand at a Halloween party with Darth Vadar, real identity unknown. Keeping in style of the hilarity of the book Romy decides to call her son Luke feeling it is quite fitting given the circumstances. Romy has taken to motherhood like a boat to water and it is truly the best thing that has ever happened to her.
When Kit arrives back from New York after the recession has dragged yet another company down he feels like he is starting from scratch. After some convincing from his mother he decides to track down his first love Romy but all is not as it seems.
Romy is a property developer and is currently living in one of her renovated houses with tenants due to the current property climate. One of her tenants being May, a wonderfully kooky older woman who is determined to investigate every sexual taboo she possible, in fact she keeps a blog and even runs workshops.
This book kept me laughing and smiling the whole way through, at one point I was convinced I had worked the entire thing out but of course I was happily mistaken. It was filled with humour reminding us that maybe we shouldn’t take sex so seriously and remember it is supposed to be fun too. Here in Ireland especially, sex is still seen as somewhat of a no go area , a hush hush topic and so I admire Clodagh’s courage to write a story like this. I truly enjoyed this book and I feel it would also make a great movie. I feel like it is a little bit of a guilty pleasure as it is filled to the brim with taboo. It is also important to say that sex is really the back drop and there are important plot lines in this story, sex is the foundation which once you finish the book makes complete sense.
It is laugh out loud funny, slightly outrageous and I have to say there were times when I had no idea what sexual stuff Miss Clodagh was referring to so keep a dictionary on stand by, this is a fun filled guilty pleasure for me and I loved it.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frisky Business.