Elly's Reviews > Beautiful Music for Ugly Children

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: ya-fiction, 2012
Recommended to Elly by: NetGalley
Read from June 22 to July 02, 2012, read count: 1

NB: I was provided with a free download of this book via NetGalley.

I enjoyed this book, but I found some things that were a little problematic for me. I found it very difficult to track the passing of time and had a lot of muddled ideas of characters in my head, as I thought the characterisation could have had a little more continuity. I didn't find myself connecting with Gabe in the way I would have liked to, and I found a lot of the dialogue very stilted, as well as quite a lot of things that were mentioned once then never again.

However, I think the book is definitely worth reading. John is such a character and I found the following of the radio show very interesting. It's very important that YA diversifies its protagonists, and Gabe is a perfect example of a 'typical' YA main character who represents a different slice of society than the one we are normally presented with.

If I was a transitioning FTM, I think I would find a lot of comfort in this book, and I think it's got some important messages in it. As a cis female who isn't nearly as musically nerdy as Gabe, I didn't connect with it on the same level that I could otherwise have done. Recommended to transitioning FTM people or those who want to find out more about the trans population and the problems many of them have to go through.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Music for Ugly Children.

06/24/2012 page 40