Lynley's Reviews > Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health

Wheat Belly by William  Davis

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: paleo-diet, health

Having just read the scientific style of Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, the chatty tone of this book felt very different considering, if this man is right, that he's saying something very important for humankind.

And I'm inclined to believe he IS right, because after a month without wheat (a consequence of a low-carb diet) our family has experienced health improvements which were quite unexpected outside simple weight-loss. Whether compromised health was due to the gluten, the sugar or the many chemicals present in processed food -- all of which we've cut out -- is impossible to say but I'm inclined to think it's a combination of all of the above which has allowed my husband to cut right back on his asthma meds for the first time in his life.

So I'd give this book five stars were it not for the voice, which I found irritating through mildly offensive. In an effort to link biological and chemical processes to everyday phenomena, Dr Davis made use of annoying analogies. The quip about the young floozy girlfriend homewrecker is one example, and I don't even remember the point he was trying to illustrate. On the other hand, some of his simplifications served to clarify a few points which were made more scientifically by Gary Taubes, but which, for the layperson, may have been too confusing to understand. In sum, easy-to-read books definitely have their place in nutritional best-sellers, and I wish everyone could read this book, try a brief exclusion diet and see for themselves whether wheat exclusion makes any difference.

As for this household, I'm about to throw out the last of our cereals and bread.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wheat Belly.