Miss Clark's Reviews > Aurelia

Aurelia by Anne Osterlund

Oct 15, 08

bookshelves: adventure
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Aurelia, crown princess of Tyrult, is in danger. Several assasination attempts later and her old classmate Robert Vauntage is back at the castle to try and solve the mystery of who wants to kill Aurelia.

The characterization is very sparse, but the effect, overall, works. Though the characters are more colourful vignettes than fully-fleshed out individuals with minute psychological description, we still have the measure of most of the players.

Greedy, selfish and deceptive Melonie - beautiful, gifted, yet still not satisfied with anything less than the crown. And she is willing to do anything to get it.

Elise, the cold, distant and constantly critiquing step-mother, who verbally abuses Aurelia.

Aurelia's own father, the King, who essentially is weak, self-absorbed and loathesome. His own flaws and sins gave rise to the entire situation.

Robert, quiet, unassuming, honest and brave. And he does care very much for Aurelia.

Aurelia, in turn, is spirited, independent, obstinate. She strives to be a good person, but is surrounded by corruption.

It felt like a quick and easy ending and I really feel that there is a sequel somewhere waiting to be published. Especially with all the unanswered questions about Aurelia's mom and the people from across the sea....
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aurelia.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Denae Christine And how the author added her own, unusual tidbits to the book made it fantastic! Well, IMHO. I liked your review, though. Summed it up nicely, and I agree that the author left it open for a sequel, which would be nice.
(When Aurelia, at the beginning, is sitting in torture because she can't scratch her leg? Perfect...)

Miss Clark Oh, indeed. And there are two sequels planned in fact. And Osterlund's newest work, Academy 7 will be available soon! I think you will like it.

Denae Christine Thanks! I'll definitely have to borrow Academy 7 from the library as soon as it comes out.
Funny thing is, though Aurelia is listed as a Fantasy novel, I don't remember any magic in it. It was written like a fantasy novel, though, with a medieval time frame and monarchies and knights and such.