Wei Cho's Reviews > The Secret Hour

The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2012

This book elicit polarized feelings in me: beauty and fear.

Beauty because I love the concept of midnight and all it's mysteries and beauties. During my childhood, I loved sneaking out of my room and just sitting in the living room facing huge window that opened to the dark sky. It was lovely. YET, very scary because everything was dark and I didn't know what was roaming around in the darkness. It was horrifically scary, yet midnight had me enchanted with it's magic. The same with this book: I was really scared to read on, especially about darklings lurking about and reading the number thirteen all over the place as if it was a sacred number (I grew up hearing differently). Anyway, as a child I feared the number thirteen because of the folk legends every adult liked to taught you a scary lesson with. I hadn't thought of it until recently, after reading the book. At the same time, I wanted to continue, to know what was going on, because well, it's freaking amazing that for one hour of every day (midnight!) time freezes! How cool is that, except for the little monsters lurking around, that is.

The characters very likable, I especially liked Dess: sense of humor, intelligence, and her talent (viva polimaths!). It was amazing. And I didn't find Jessica VERY annoying, as I usually find most of the heroines in YA novels. But anyway, she was okay, and her relationship with Jonathan is okay too. I'll like to see more drama among Melissa, Rex, and Dess though. They've known each other longer so they must have some more history together. Can't wait to find out!

As for the story, it was good, fast-paced, and original. A secret hour (without monsters) what a wonderful concept. I could imagine Westerfeld's world quite well and he didn't even used that much of imagery! Maybe it's because it is an easy read, but well worth your day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Hour.