K. Bird's Reviews > Awry

Awry by Chelsea Fine

Jun 26, 12

Read from June 22 to 26, 2012

This second book in the series about brothers cursed with immortality is actually better than the first book in the series. The writing is tighter, there's no annoying Kissing Festival (different, more believable Festival) and we finally get more action and less summarizing.

That said, I don't suggest you read this one without having read the first one, Anew; and I can't talk about this second book without spoiling the first one. So if you haven't read the first one, don't read on.

So Gabriel and Tristan are still involved in the curse with Scarlet. The book picks up directly after the events of Anew. Scarlet is dying.

Right from the start, she comes back. This time her body doesn't disappear and neither does she lose all her memories. It's a mystery. To find out about this mystery, they all head over to an old resident of Avalon's house where Scarlet discovers a journal with clues.

So they have to find out where the Fountain of Youth is to break the curse, and there's Ashmen attacking them, and they have a map and journal with clues to the fountain's location, but they still don't know where it is exactly. Meanwhile, we get flashbacks into Tristan and Gabriel's history with Scarlet and finally discover how the curse began.

But while these plot points add excitement, the real fun of the book is the snappy banter. BFF Heather is being set up as a romantic possibility for Gabriel, and her irreverent attitude (let's be a Team! Let's give silly code names to each other!) is the best part of the book. The third immortal boy, Nate, also provides comic relief (he's a doctor but sleeps on Star Trek sheets).

Scarlet didn't draw me in as much in this book. I think part of the problem was her whole "I love my boyfriend" attitude towards Gabriel in the first part of the book despite knowing about the curse and the developing bond between her and Tristan. She says to herself "I'm the worst girlfriend ever" a bunch of times and I totally agreed. It came off kind of weird that she seemed to be so in denial.

The book ends in another cliffhanger with surprise twists about minor characters and Team Awesome closer than ever to finding the fountain of youth.

This Book's Snack Rating: Like cheese puffs for the cheesy, fun banter and the puffy airiness of Scarlet's character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awry.