Crystal's Reviews > Desert Angel

Jun 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, fahrenheit-blog
Read from June 23 to 26, 2012

A short, fairly easy read. Angel isn't necessarily LIKEABLE but as the book goes on you understand more and more why she does some of the less appealing things she does (like lying and stealing). self preservation is a powerful instinct, and she's had a lot to preserve herself from.
Even though it is fairly easy reading, it's also very dark. The book doesn't flinch from the various abuse Angel has been through. I found the timing of reading this book uncanny, as I am currently in a training class for caring for foster children, and we've talked a lot about kids who have been through trauma, and the behaviors they can develop to cope.
Some of the language was a little choppy. I assume it was intentional, to reflect the varying English language skills of the characters, and Angel's lack of formal education, and therefore sometimes her difficulty in grasping communication, especially combined with the shock of the trauma she'd recently endured. I could usually figure out what was being said. It was just a bit jarring/ distracting to try to figure it out sometimes.
Overall a good book, though. an interesting view of an area and culture that aren't covered often, as well as a harrowing window into childhood abuse.

(However, you know you've read too much young adult fantasy when you pick up a perfectly realistic book, see on the book jacket about a "shadow community" that helps her, and think it's werewolves or something. Maybe my husband is correct, and I DO need to read some "real books" for awhile. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desert Angel.

12/15/2016 marked as: read