Belinda's Reviews > Cell

Cell by Stephen King

Jul 25, 07

bookshelves: braincandy, contempopop, spooky

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cell.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Sabiel (new)

Sabiel What did you think of this one? I remember reading about 30 pages and finding it interesting, but then returning it as by that point I had already racked up some $10-odd in library fines. Definitely a hilarious concept.

Belinda Let's see...I thought, like you say, that it was a really neat concept. I mean, just imagine! About halfway through, it lost momentum, and then just kind of coasted to its conclusion, which at least wasn't a sellout.

If I weren't a total King GEEK, I would have rated this one much lower. But having been reading him for close to 30 years now, I've developed a "relationship" with this author that extends beyond the story, and I appreciate things like the way the stories interweave, the way that characters are developed (or not), and his love for the language of common people.

message 5: by Sabiel (new)

Sabiel I feel so deprived not having ever read anything of his. I guess I'll read this one though, since you made it sound halfway decent and I already started it. Besides, it's kindof sad that my to-read has a sole shelf for fiction, and way more for nonfiction. My fiction to-read could certainly use some padding...

Belinda Well, in any case, it won't take you long. My advice is to enjoy the little things. It's an easy read.

message 3: by Sabiel (new)

Sabiel "Easy reads" sounds like my kind of fiction (when I don't get distracted by immense amounts of non).

Much unlike Prep, which is taking forever because it's 450 pages, the print is minuscule, and the prose overwrought. Never should have started it, but I caved in to the hype and my awe of boarding school environments. Turned out to have an extremely unlikable protagonist, and dull sub-plots so far. (Still only half-way through.)

On another note, have you heard of this new service, Bookswim? It's basically netflix for books. It's pretty cool, but I think I'll stick to my good old public library. Just a waste of taxes otherwise.

message 2: by Belinda (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Belinda No, but only yesterday I said to my husband, "I wish there was a Netflix for books." So, thank you! I'll check it out. Motherhood has already required that I give up shopping in person, and getting to the library around work and school and life is just...ack.

1/3 through Watchmen right now. Pretty much loving it, even though I had my doubts about the format.

message 1: by Sabiel (new)

Sabiel You're welcome! Yes, trekking sucks. Of course, the problem is exacerbated by skimpy library hours thanks to cutbacks. Whenever property taxes dry up, library hours & services are usually the first to go because a literate public is much more expendable than imprisoning nonviolent drug users in our society. (Which ends up costing more money in the long run--since how are prisons paid for? TAXES. Ugh. Don't get me started on the War on Drugs.)

Watchmen looks fabulous, and based on your recommendation, I'm adding it to my interminable to-read list. I am such a fan of Alan Moore since watching V for Vendetta. Although ironically, he has totally disowned the film since it delved away from the comic too much for his taste. But I'm just glad it gave him more exposure; he's a genius.