Aneeqah's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

Sep 29, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, 2012-standalone, 2012-ya-contemp, arc, kindle, review-for-blog, read-in-2012, the-reading-games
Read on August 16, 2012

Find this review, and more at my blog My Not So Real Life!

Every Day was certainly a unique book. With an incredible concept, it’s hard to not want to read this book. Even though most of this book is focused on the romance, which I’m not a huge fan of (I prefer action with a bit of romance!) I surprised myself by really enjoying this book.

Of course, I have to talk about the concept and idea for this book first. Waking up in a different person’s body everyday? Now that’s what I like to call original! I can’t imagine the challenge it must have been to write this book. Anyways, I was really enjoying the concept for the story, it was so cool. And surprisingly, I didn’t have a bajillion questions. Usually in this situation, I would be asking question after question, especially because we didn’t get many answers about how this whole thing actually works. But, I was pretty satisfied with the explanations given. I understood the fact that the book’s focus wasn’t on this strange power, and this surprised me.

Every Day covered a lot of things I think books shy away from. So many things are talked about, from obesity, to what love actually means. It’s super thought provoking, which is sometimes hard to achieve in paranormal type books. I had to stop reading a few times just to ponder everything going on, and once I was finished, I couldn’t stop thinking about this book. It’s really awesome when a book is able to do that to me.

The ending, by far, has to be my favorite part of the book. It was just so unexpected yet so lovely. I mean, I had tears, which is a rare occasion for me (for some odd reason, I never cry while reading books, even if my heart is breaking in two…). It was so emotional, and wonderfully written. Just wow.

There were a few minor things that I didn’t like about this book. Mainly, it was a bit hopeless throughout the whole thing. I’m not going to spoil anything, but there were times were I just didn’t see the point. Also, the very very end of the book was a pretty big cliffhanger. Yes, the last part was really lovely, but I wanted more of a resolution with this book, especially since it’s a standalone.

Overall, Every Day was so not my type of book, yet I still somehow managed enjoying it. It has some really great messages throughout the entire book, so I’ll be sure to be passing this along to all my friends. If you are a fan of David Leviathan, or want a gritty contemporary with a paranormal twist, then you definitely need to pick this book up!

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book, in exchange for a honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.