Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, coming-of-age, fiction, 2012, postapocalyptic
Read from June 22 to 23, 2012

The Age of Miracles is making a big splash for being such a quiet little book. When I started to read it, I was hooked by the innocent voice and the strange things which puzzled that voice. It's such an interesting idea - the idea of the earth slowing down and time being prolonged.

Shortly into the novel I realized this is not your typical science fiction, or even post-apocalyptic type of book. This is the book that shows us the other side, you know.. the side we never see in movies. While we're used to seeing the astronauts out to save the world, or those last minute government decisions, very rarely do we get to see the side of the average Joe and how he, his family, his neighborhood, and his community handles a crisis like this. And the narrator of this story professes a very similar sentiment.

There are no big disasters in The Age of Miracles. There are just small things that get a little larger - things that you wouldn't expect to bother you, but ... give them enough space and it's clear that they just might after all. I was sincerely moved as I journeyed through this story with its young narrator, and I found myself wondering what would happen if something similar happened to us.

There are no real answers in the book, so don't go into them expecting to receive a clear-cut one (hear that, Stephen King? No aliens needed). Rather, I think this book is made all the stronger for not having one because it opens the imagination and gives the reader something to think about, long after the pages are closed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.