Cosmo's Reviews > Hyperion

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

U 50x66
Jun 22, 12

Recommended to Cosmo by: Sword and Laser

Science fiction is not my favorite genre or even my favorite branch of speculative fiction so Hyperion had to overcome a fair amount of inertia. It did through some relatively clever bits of literary allusions and the narrative variety that a Canterbury Tales format allowed. I found myself flipping pages gleefully and when any section began to tire me, well another section came along with a different tone and pace.

However, a nearly fatal flaw of Hyperion is the fact that it is not really a "book" in the classical sense of a complete work; it is the first volume of a work that is completed, I gather, in the Fall of Hyperion. There is no sense of narrative closure whatsoever in the portion named Hyperion -- the story halt mid-action -- so the second volume really can't be called a sequel. Needless to say, I was not amused to discover this fact. At some point in the future, I will stop fuming long enough to read this engaging tale further, that is, into its second half and at that point, I might have to improve its rating greatly. But at this point, Hyperion is half a tale and just mediocre.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hyperion.