Jim's Reviews > Defending the Undefendable

Defending the Undefendable by Walter Block

Mar 11, 13

bookshelves: non-fiction, 1paper
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

In the first couple of sections, Sexual & Medical, he presents some good arguments in favor of less government interference & that's not surprising, given his Libertarian stance that he warns about in the introduction. His arguments are somewhat thin, but not too bad.

I found that the third section on free speech lost some cohesiveness of argument. His arguments for not regulating blackmail, slander & libel were very thin. His comparisons against 'academic freedom' aren't particularly valid. He presupposes rationality & responsibility on the part of businesses that I don't believe exist, especially in his case for free speech against the yelling of, "Fire!" in a movie theater. This is an unfortunate habit of Libertarians.

He puts up a fair defense for advertising & overall brings up some good points, but they lack the conviction & depth of his earlier arguments supporting sex & drugs. His arguments for unregulated cab drivers are OK, immediately followed by poor arguments supporting ticket scalping. Over & over he does this. He makes valid points & then weak ones usually due to faulty premises, not the logic inherent to his argument until he gets to 'The Dishonest Cop' & here his logic & premises fall apart.

He takes his theories over the top into absurdity in his discussions about counterfeiting money, saying that only gold & silver are real money, again showing his premises are incorrect. He forgets (or ignores) that currency is a consensus of worth. Precious metals, jewels & even seashells were historically used because they were not counterfeitable, fairly rare & ornamental. They had no use in industry, yet everyone wanted them & agreed on their worth. The current global consensus is not to base money on any specific goods since there isn't enough of anything that would make sense & their value would affect significant industries. He shows that he understands debasement, inflation & other ills that can befall a currency, yet makes specious arguments for allowing counterfeiting on the grounds that the government already does it. Silly.

The book gets worse, if possible, after this in sections V, VI & VII, Finaces, Business & Ecology, respectively. Several categories don't need any defense; inheritors & speculators. Others, profiteers, stripminers & litterers, are improperly defined, poorly defended & a waste of time to read. He goes out of his way to make completely improper comparisons in his rant against the establishment & its departure from his Libertarian values.

He gets somewhat back on track with section VIII, Labor, & his discussion on the minimum wage law, but fails to take into account the growth of technology, which undermines one of his major arguments. That's the pattern - make a somewhat convincing argument & then blow it through neglect or diatribe.

He follows this near success with the most specious & horrible arguments for child labor. I guess he doesn't read much history, as he actually writes, "Moreover, the institution of child labor is an honorable one, with a long and glorious history of good works." Abortion wasn't legal when this book was written, so one of his main arguments against parental responsibility is void.

Basically, the book was a waste of time. If it teaches anything, it's to watch what you spend time reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending the Undefendable.

10/15/2008 page 41
16.02% "Libertarian look at some of our more stupid attitudes & laws. Great cartoons, too."
10/23/2008 page 106
41.41% "He started out OK - I had high hopes - but he's losing it. Weak premises & now his ignorance is showing."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I've read books like this...sorry you spent precious time on this one!

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim It wasn't a complete waste of time. At least it made me think about what he was saying. I'm often accused of being a Libertarian. Just as often accused as being too conservative or liberal, though. I like the idea of folks minding their own business, detest laws 'for the good of others', but think some common sense needs to be used. There is a proper place for Federal & State oversight.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Again - agreed! I don't want a "nanny state" but there should be a safety net for the most vulnerable (does not mean healthy people who don't want to work). I'm not sure I know anyone who can unequivocally categorize themselves as a pure Libertarian, Conservative or Liberal (if they can it sort of makes me think they're "drinking the Kool-aid"). I share many beliefs with Libertarians, but there is some ideology that makes me part ways in the creation of my own personal ideology :-)

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I do believe that most things (exceptions national security, military..) would be done a lot more efficiently on the state level. I don't think the feds should be involved in education along with a host of other things.

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh What a well thought out review, Jim. I hear what you're saying about it not being a complete waste of time 'because it made you think about what he was saying'. Nothing wrong with that, though I still won't bother reading it.

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim Agreed, Kelly. LOL! Love/agree about the Kool-aid.

Thank you, Florence. I don't think you'll miss anything you can't live without.
;-)