Kathy (Bermudaonion)'s Reviews > The Islands of Divine Music

The Islands of Divine Music by John Addiego

Dec 03, 08

Read in November, 2008

Lazaro and Eleonora Cara immigrated from Italy to New York with their daughter Rosari. Eleonora battled mental illness and when she was found dead, Lazaro and Rosari decided it was time to start over, so they moved to San Francisco. There, Rosari married Guiseppe Verbicaro and they had 6 children. Guiseppe worked hard and they led a fairly normal life. When Guiseppe was 79, he left Rosari for a young, pregnant prostitute. Her son, Jesús, would change this family forever.

The Islands of Divine Music by John Addiego is more like a series of short stories (about different members of the family) than a novel, and this concept didn't really work well for me. While Addiego's writing is beautiful, I found parts of the book rambling and redundant and there were so many characters I found myself wondering who I was reading about at times. The beginning and the end of the book meshed well for me but a lot of the middle just seemed unnecessary. I received this book as part of the Library Thing Early Reviewers Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Islands of Divine Music.