Daniella's Reviews > Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, romance
Read in June, 2012

I was so excited when this book came in the mail (Thank you so much Harper Teen!) and could not wait to read it. I certainly was not disappointed. I have seen Peter Pan before, several times actually, but I never once remembered Tiger Lily. This book is written in the perspective of Ticker Bell, whom Peter names. Although it was different perspective, I kind of liked it, but it was a little disappointing at moments. On one hand, you were able to know what was happening in places where Tiger Lily was not, such as the burrow or the cove. But on the other hand, I think Tiger Lily's perspective would have also been great to see. She is such a strong, independent, and brave individual and her point of view would have been interesting to read. Perhaps even the two perspectives mixed.
The characters also in the book were quite dynamic and intriguing. I loved Tiger Lily, Peter Pan, Pine Sap, and Tik Tok. The one character I really was not fond of was Wendy. Although you already know that Wendy and Peter Pan end up together, it was still quite disappointing and heartbreaking when Peter left Tiger Lily, someone he wanted to freaking marry, for Wendy. I felt like Wendy was always trying to please Peter no matter what, whereas Tiger Lily was always herself when she spent time with Peter.
Throughout the entire story, I felt bad for Tiger Lily. She was always getting the short end of the stick. Although the town respected her because she was the daughter of a shaman, everybody (except for Tik Tok and Pine Sap) thought she was cursed and was a crow in secret. The kids tortured, ridiculed, and harassed her. Fortunately, in the end, things turned up for Tiger Lily and finally life went her way.
I loved this story and I almost gave this book 5 stars, but the ending was, as I said previously, a bit disappointing and I felt at times that Tiger Lily just needed to stand up for herself and do what SHE wanted to do. Also, at first I kind of like the Englander, Philip, but later on, I, much like Tiger Lily, was on the brink of hating him. (SPOILER ALERT!) Philip inadvertently caused Tik Tok's death by spreading his beliefs of God throughout the tribe. Tik Tok was a womanly man who was looked down upon by Philip because "it was not righteous in the eyes of the Lord." Overall this book was really great and I am certainly going to recommend this to my friends. I am now officially a fan of Jodi Lynn Anderson.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Lily.