Dot's Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Jul 01, 12

Read from June 22 to July 01, 2012

After slogging through the intelligent but ponderous The Book of Blood and Shadow, The first chapter of the Diviners was glouriously fun and ominous. A bit more fast-paced then the Gemma Doyle series, this story of flappers and fiends moves deftly from scene to scene, and it's no mystery why the movie rights were snatched up by Paramount.

It's a perfect combination of Bray's talents; filled with the historical grounding of A Great and Terrible Beauty, along with the slightly skewed moral compasses of those main characters. I love that the protagonists don't automatically spring off the page as society-changing superheroes; a teenage girl with magic powers is likely to use them as party tricks, and who'd blame her?

The Diviners is one of those books that just lets you wallow in it -- vintage slang peppering the dialogue in all the right places, era-specific fads and behaviours, the spark and spangle of clothing styes-- it's never overwritten and always a delight. From the sultry Valentino to the gory H.H. Holmes, I loved catching the echoes of familiar historical events tucked into the plotline.

So yes, it's become obvious that I'm an abashedly devout Libba Bray fan, and the first book of the Diviners has firmly solidified that.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark She's writing a series? Series books are so beneath her. (And yes, I know she's already done one of these) Stop reviewing ARCs; it's not fair to the rest of us!

message 2: by Dot (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dot Ha! Ha Ha!
See, I review the ARC so that by the time you see it on the shelf somewhere, you already know what I think. It's practically a public service.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Now I'm reading it and I'm so mad it's a series. It'll take me years to get through them all! And I love it.