Wendy's Reviews > The Submission

The Submission by Amy Waldman

F_50x66
Jun 24, 12

Read from June 22 to 24, 2012

I wanted to read this book because it appeared on many best of 2011 lists. It's a complex novel about a fictional aftermath of 9/11 where a Muslim architect's design is selected for the monument of the attacks. The book shifts from many persepectives - the architect, members of the selection committee, a reporter, family member's of victims. It is a thought provoking piece of work with many complex facets of politics, religion and grief being explored. I applaud the author for not making the architect a saintly Muslim. His hubris and flaws make the question of if his design should be built all the more interesting. In fact I found all the characters in this novel to be very complex - no one is completely right or completely wrong. The one character you will whole heartedly love is an illegal immigrant widow. Her plight made me think about how many real life conter parts there must be to this character and what has become of them. The conclusion of the book is inevitable but I found the epilogue truly moving.

If you are looking for a book with clear cut heroes and villains this probably isn't your cup of tea. But if you want a slice of humanity with all it's flaws you could do worse than this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Submission.