Ashley's Reviews > The Secret Adversary

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

Jun 22, 2012

Read from June 22 to 24, 2012

When I am desperately in need of a well crafted mystery novel I always think of Agatha Christie first. After working my way through the usual suspects (Ms. Marple, Poirot, etc) I turned to this, the first in the wonderful Tommy and Tuppence series.

One of the things that makes Agatha Christie a superior writer is her characters. Beyond each well crafted and mind bending mystery are people with connected lives and stories and emotions. Each novel hinges on very universally human emotions and motivations, and the Tommy and Tuppence mysteries are no exception.

The Secret Adversary introduces us to two friends, both short on cash, who team up to become sleuths. The whole thing sounds very adventurous and romantic until they find themselves embroiled in a very real conspiracy involving the sinking of the Lusitania, a missing woman, and the elusive "Mr. Brown". A humorous, fast paced, and suspenseful mystery that makes me thankful Christie continued the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Adversary.

06/22/2012
21.0% "I've never read a Tommy and Tuppence mystery, but everything Agatha does is awesome"
06/24/2012
28.0% "I've never read a Tommy and Tuppence mystery, but everything Agatha does is awesome"