Daniela's Reviews > The Assassin's Curse

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Jun 22, 12

Ananna has only ever heard the stories. In all her life, she never imagined them to be true. And besides, her betrothed husband was only trying to scare her into marrying him. Telling her his big pirate daddy was gonna send assassins after her if she didn't accept. Of course, why should Ananna accept her arranged marriage? She's got bigger plans. But when Ananna tricks her soon-to-be husband and escapes, all her future plans go down the drain when she's ambushed by moving shadows. Assassins.
As all the stories go, there was one sure way to die, and that was by the hand of an assassin. No man, woman, or child has ever survived an encounter with them. Especially when they did blood magic. So why did Ananna? Ever since she met that mysterious woman in the shop, she survived her first encounter with an assassin. But the next time she meets one, she won't be so lucky. Unfortunately, she ends up saving his life. And whether that was a smart move or not is still debatable. A curse has tied Ananna and her assassin, Naji, together. An impossible curse. Now Naji must protect Ananna, for he is tied to her until this curse is broken. Problem? Ananna's betrothed husband's family is after her. What could be worse? Oh, well there's also a large group of otherworldly beings trying to kill Naji. Doesn't sound like it's enough? Naji's curse doesn't seem like it can be broken.
The Assassin's Curse left me astounded. No I am not exaggerating. At first I was all like 'Yea, another book on pirates, curses, and creepy guys in black cloaks disappearing into the shadows, let's get this over with.' I'm ashamed for thinking like that. I seriously underestimated this book.
Clarke's writing got me latched onto the book like a parasite. I don't know what I expected but I certainly didn't expect to be jumping up and down in my seat as my eyes scanned the words as quickly as they could. I was completely absorbed into a completely new world of sassy pirates, unbreakable curses, and dark, dangerous magic. It was an unbelievable adventure that left me completely breathless and yearning for more.
Ananna turned out to be an awesome kick-butt heroine. At first I wasn't too sure. I proceeded with caution, trying my best not to compare Ananna with other annoying female characters. But once I really got into the book, I couldn't get enough of her witty remarks and sassy personality. She had this great sense of humor that kept a grin on my face the entire time. Clarke made her into the perfect pirate. She wasn't irritating or petty like most female characters and I enjoyed reading the story from her perspective.
Naji, on the other hand, was the dark, brooding, tortured assassin that made you want to cry for him and slap him at the same time. At first he was cold and distant. I didn't think I'd like him any time soon. But I ended up caring for him as much as Ananna did. He was annoying some times, but I couldn't help it. He got to me.
I also liked the way Ananna didn't fall in love/lust with Naji the second she saw him even though he was sort of beautiful. This is a problem I see in many books and I was glad I didn't encounter it in this one. She got to know him before growing feelings for him. I, for one, am glad she did.
The plot was really intriguing. I liked how original the idea was. There weren't any vampires, werewolves, mermaids (but they mentioned sirens), etc. It was refreshing for once. Ananna saved the life of the man who was out to kill her and therefore cursed him to protect her or else he could get seriously injured. It's got an appeal to it. I did have problems with the pacing once or twice. One moment I couldn't seem to read fast enough and the next I'm staring at each word, waiting for the action to start again. But it wasn't enough to stop me from reading.
Overall, I loved The Assassin's Curse. It was a thrilling adventure through a world I couldn't get enough of.
I really can't wait for the second one to come out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin's Curse.