Julie's Reviews > Economic Facts and Fallacies

Economic Facts and Fallacies by Thomas Sowell

Nov 17, 08

Read in November, 2008

Wow, I wouldn't have ever pictured myself reading something like this, but it was interesting and eye-opening. Sowell lays seemingly in(un?)disputable fallacies to rest just by looking at the facts that "experts" ignore or the media doesn't take the time to notice, thereby giving us half the story and leading us to believe things that aren't true. For example, that overpopulation is what causes poverty in Third World countries, or that government intervention is needed to create "affordable housing", or that when and where there are significant differences between men and women in their employment, pay, or promotion, that it is due to discrimination.

Most fascinating to me were his chapters on Urban Facts and Fallacies(F&F), Male-Female F&F, Income F&F, and Third World F&F. Sowell states in his Parting Thoughts, "Perhaps most dangerous of all is the practice of not subjecting fashionable beliefs to the test of facts, but instead accepting or rejecting beliefs according to how well they fit some pre-existing vision of the world."

I liked this book so much, I'm even tempted to read Sowell's Basic Economics, which I'm sure will most definitely teach me more than my high school Economics teacher...Mr. Florio just didn't cut it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Economic Facts and Fallacies.