Michelle Leah Olson's Reviews > Black Lament

Sep 16, 12

bookshelves: literal-addiction-books, reviewed
Read from August 18 to 19, 2012

Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:

I am absolutely in love with this series, so when Christina sent me an ARC of Black Lament to get me through a tough time following back to back surgeries, she couldn't have given me a better gift.

After crying my eyes out following the conclusion of Black Howl and just KNOWING that Christina had amazing things in store for not only us but her characters, I was chomping at the bit to start Black Lament. Let me tell you that Miss Henry did not disappoint, not even a bit!

My first words upon completing the book were this: "Holy cow! Another amazing read by Christina Henry. Dark, intriguing, action packed, emotion laced, & jam packed with goodness. I can't wait for the next book!"

As the synopsis says, after tragedy strikes, Maddy finds some comfort in the fact that she has something to look forward to. The only problem is that she just can't seem to stay out of trouble, and everyone wants a piece of her for their own personal gains. She's pretty much made enemies in all the supernatural courts, and now she's getting heat from her bosses bosses to boot.

This is an incredibly difficult review to write because SO much happens in this installment and I refuse to spoil any of it. Many, many things change, characters that you hated you have to learn to like, characters that were always Maddy's rocks are beginning to waiver, numerous new characters are introduced and muddle up the already delicate balance that Maddy is desperately trying to hold on to (both for better and for worse), and Maddy discovers and nurtures a darkness within herself that has those closest to her a bit on edge.

One of the best lines is towards the end of the book and sums up a lot of the feeling throughout the tale. Maddy and Lucifer are talking and Lucifer asks "Do you really believe you can defeat whatever comes your way?". Maddy replies with, "I have to believe that, because every time I turn around there's something else". That, in a nutshell, sums up this series thus far, and especially this installment.

In Black Lament, Christina changes things even more than she did in Black Howl (and I wasn't sure that was even possible). She also opens up the series for an entirely new sub-plotline, and I am dying to see how Black City turns out!

Love, love LOVE this series!

LITERAL ADDICTION gives Black Lament a well deserved 5 Skulls and would recommend it to all Urban Fantasy lovers. I do suggest that readers take in the whole series and start with Black Wings, Black Night and Black Howl before Black Lament, however. There is just too much history that you'll miss, and you don't want to miss them anyway; they're too fantastic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Lament.

Michelle McKinney I can NOT wait for this!!!!