Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > The Darkest Night

The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter

Really awesome first book in a series. Truly starts off strong and gets right into the thick of things. We are introduced to a lot of characters in book 1, but the cast looks strong and they are all very distinct from one another despite the fact that they are all tortured, lonely, suffering heroes. I totally have my eye on Torin and really want to see how Gena will give him an HEA because as bad as the others' demons are, his is awful. I wonder if she'll write a book for Cameo. I'm just beginning, so not sure if she's still around in the series as of the latest book, but like Ashlyn says at the end, surely someone can fall in love with Misery.

I love that the conflict is clear and concise in this book and definitely opens the series to an overarching story. I had no clue that this series was originally a trilogy. With such a huge story to tell, I wonder at how Gena was going to tell it in just three books. Obviously, they were popular enough that the series has continued into 9 books with a 10th on the way. I hope it keeps going long enough for Torin to get some happiness.

Back to the story. I actually loved Maddox and Ashlyn together. They e great for each other. I loved that (view spoiler) I can also honestly say that I got a kick out of Maddox's violent rages. I felt awful for him that he had such issues controlling himself, but when the went violent on Ashlyn's behalf, I couldn't help but love him. I couldn't NOT like Maddox. He was just so win. Ashlyn was a sweetheart. Despite her situation, she wasn't bitchy, but she was firm. She was caring and she proved herself to these hardened warriors. Awesome heroine. Also, despite what she did for a living, thank goodness she wasn't a prejudiced heroine. She had assumptions about demons, yes, but there was none of that seemingly never-ending hatred that some heroines have towards certain types of supes because of a trauma or ignorance.

I like that we start to get glimpses into the storylines for Lucien, Reyes and Aeron here. I found I have a huge soft spot for Reyes. Can't wait to see how he makes things work with Danika. As soon as it was mentioned he could smell her scent, I knew who his heroine would be. Looking forward to his book.

The Titans are going to be playing a huge part in things. Especially now that Anya has been introduced. This should keep things even more interesting.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the two groups of Lords slowly regain each others' trust. I was wondering at first why I hadn't seen some of the Lords I'd seen people talk about and then they showed up. I thought it was cool how Gena did that and am looking forward to seeing more of the interacting between the groups.

Favorite lords so far: Torin, Reyes, Gideon, Paris, Maddox and Kane. I think Strider will probably end up on that list, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Night.

08/01/2012
4.0% "Ah, introduced to Torin already and I'm already falling."
08/01/2012
6.0% "Maddox's life sucks."
08/01/2012
7.0% "I have a feeling this Institute works for uses her to hunt paranormals for their nefarious purposes. Probably Hunters looking for the Lords specifically."
08/01/2012
8.0% "I was right! Knew it!"
08/01/2012
9.0% "Lol! "You dare tell me to hush?" Careful, Ashlyn."
08/01/2012
13.0% "Wow, this book sure starts off with the crazy."
08/01/2012
15.0% "Lol @ all of them talking about her like she isn't even there."
08/01/2012
24.0% "How long until they fall into bed, I wonder."
08/01/2012
28.0% ""I think our friend's forgotten that sex is sex. Who's offering it doesn't matter. This woman is nothing special. None of them are." Aeron will be eating those words at some point."
37.0% "Damn, Maddox"
38.0% "Aw, Reyes"
08/01/2012
38.0% "Lawd, they are all screwing up now."
08/01/2012
41.0% "And Reyes loses his cool over a girl."
08/01/2012
44.0% "So some of them stayed in Greece. Is that why I haven't seen some of the Lords I've heard about before?"
08/01/2012
45.0% "Oh, Ashlyn. You're so naive. McIntosh doesn't give a damn about you."
08/01/2012
49.0% "Surely nothing good can come out of that request."
08/01/2012
59.0% "The shower scene was hot. Now Ashlyn's stuck in a room with Dannika and company. Should be interesting."
08/01/2012
60.0% "Lawd! Quit provoking Maddox about Ashlyn, Aeron!"
08/01/2012
62.0% "Is Sabin the one talking in peoples' heads?"
08/01/2012
62.0% "Poor Sabin. All that doubt has him sighing all the time."
08/01/2012
64.0% "Lawd, since everything Gideon says is a lie, almost everything he says is funny."
08/01/2012
71.0% "Bombs are cheating."
08/01/2012
79.0% "That was pretty damned hot."
08/01/2012
89.0% "Knew she'd get sick, too."
91.0% "Awww, Reyes"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

d‘Milady *aka*Dawn Oh yay! You finally started them!

d‘Milady *aka*Dawn Hahahahaha! Love all you comments! I thought you'd like these! Don't you just love the lords!? And just wait there's more!

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru Hell yes I do! There's something to like about just about all of them at this point. Gideon's opposite speak is already cracking me up.

message 5: by d‘Milady *aka*Dawn (last edited Aug 01, 2012 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

d‘Milady *aka*Dawn Mello luvs Gin, Illium, Myrnin & Jaqen H'ghar wrote: "Hell yes I do! There's something to like about just about all of them at this point. Gideon's opposite speak is already cracking me up."

The lords are so great it's hard to really pick a favorite, so I have several! I'll tell you right now Stridey-man will be on your list! Love those guys! I love the way Gideon talks too, he cracked me up! All the guys and their banter is great! Gena does a great job of keeping everything going so well, and the last three have been the best IMO!

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru I have a feeling I will end up loving Strider. He's so well liked, I don't see how I can't. I have a really strong interest in all of them. I wished I'd started reading the series earlier, but I was worried it was going to be sappy. Harlequin as the publisher was putting me off. I really love Gena's writing style, though.

d‘Milady *aka*Dawn I was worried about the same thing but I've actually read a few from harlequin that are really good like the lords, can't think of which right now tho! Gena is awesome, I love her humor and the way she writes the emotion without going overboard, it's always just enough!

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru She is awesome. The words always seem to just flow and she is great at humor and male characters. I love how the personalities of all of the lords are so distinct. I can't get them mixed up with each other even though they're all lonely and suffering, but it's different for each of them.

d‘Milady *aka*Dawn Yeah I have never mixed any of the lords up! Definitely each their own men/demons!