Karen's Reviews > Chasing Fireflies: A Novel of Discovery

Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin

Jun 29, 12

Read from June 22 to 29, 2012

I chose the book because of its high rating and a title which attracted me and seemed inviting. Knowing very little of what the book was actually about when I first started reading it, I was not sure that it was going to be my "type" of book. I quickly got over that thought as I became caught up in the story and grew to love the characters. It was easy to root for each of them as they struggled to conquer their demons. There is a lot of pain and heartache in the story, but there is also a lot of joy and love, as well. I found the "Uncle Willie-isms" to be sometimes funny and always touching, powerful life lessons. I will never look at a firefly's "butt" quiet the same way again, lol.

After I finished reading the book, I went back to look at the blurb and noticed it was listed as Christian Fiction which would normally be a turnoff for me. Thinking back on the book, God was also a central figure, but not in-your-face or preachy. Kudos to Mr. Martin for his subtle way of bringing, God, grace, and goodness into the lives and hearts of the characters as well as the reader without driving it in with a sledge hammer.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Fireflies.

Quotes Karen Liked

Charles Martin
“You take the bad with the good, Rise up through it. Live in the mist of it. It's the bad that lets you know ho good the good really is. Don't let the bad leave you thinking like there ain't any good. There is, and lots of it, too. ”
Charles Martin, Chasing Fireflies

Charles Martin
“Scientists say that these things evolved this way over millions of years." He shook his head. "That's a bunch of bunk. I don't think an animal can just all-of-a-sudden decide it wants to make light grow out it's butt. What kind of nonsense is that? Animals don't make light." He pointed to the stars. "God does that. I don't know why or how, but I'm pretty sure it's not chance. It's not some haphazard thing he does in his spare time."

He looked at me, and his expression changed from one of wonder to seriousness, to absolute convicton. "Chase, I don't believe in chance." He held up the jar. "This is not chance, neither are the stars."....."And neither are you. So, if your mind is telling you that God slipped up and might have made one giant mistake when it comes to you, you remember the firefly's butt.”
Charles Martin, Chasing Fireflies