Sara's Reviews > A Person of Interest

A Person of Interest by Susan Choi

Oct 15, 08

Read in October, 2008

I really enjoyed this! There's a thriller/suspense aspect to it that moved me through the book much faster than I expected, balancing the sometimes rigid, sometimes austere prose. I am very interested to read another book by Choi to see if those sentences are how she writes, or if, as I suspect, they were a flawless depiction of the thought processes of the main character, a mathematics professor. (See-- I just wrote "mathematics" instead of "math" because Lee, the professor, would prefer it.)

What I found most exciting is that although I was able to guess plot points, I still wanted to see exactly how they unfolded. I was quite impressed that both story lines (past and present) and even the slight dips into other POVs were each precisely rendered and equally fraught. I was able to feel sympathy for Lee and his (unreliable) view of himself while also seeing exactly how he appeared to other characters and therefore knowing that he was often in the wrong. The devastation (and redemption) in this novel are really quite wrenching.

P.S. I read most of this on a weekend trip-- good literary plane reading!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Person of Interest.