Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > Seed

Read from June 22 to 25, 2012

Zomg

Zomg!

Z-oh-ma-gah-d-d-d-d-d-d-d !!!!!

Seed is one of the best books I have ever read!

Did you hear that?

E-V-A-H ! ! !

Ok... did I squee loud enough? Let's get to the lowdown.

Greta's Cliff Notes
Jack Winters is a happy 30 something Dad. He has a wife (Aimee) and 2 daughters (Abbie - 10 and Charlie -6).

After a fun night at the pizza place (think Chuck E. Cheese) Jack sees something rush across the deserted street. What was that thing? Swerve! Ahhh! Crash!!

Oh snap!! The car is totaled.

But that's not the only thing that's totaled. Life as the Winter's family knows it is abut to come crashing down on them because Jack has been carrying around a secret from his past. And that secret is caught up with him... and it's not letting go!

Greta's Thoughts
Woah!! I didn't know what to expect when I opened this book. From the first page I was freaking Glued!! If you are looking for a thriller then this is the book for you!! It has EVERYTHING!! Gore, mystery, mayhem, thrills and chills, and loads of cool ass moments.

I'm one of those people who LOVES LOVES LOVES a good book that draws me in to the character's fear. And woah!! This book does it!!!

I love the kind of books that make you jump when you hear your cat biting on a cardboard box and make you check under the covers before going to bed. Seed will have you doing just that.

My only complaint (and this is minor) is that I felt that Charlie (aka: Charlotte) acted more like an 8 year old instead of a 'just turned' 6 year old. But maybe because she has an older sister that would make her act more mature. Being the oldest and having an only child... I'm probably not the best person to judge.

The Characters
The author gave each character their own unique voice. I truly was amazed. No one sounded alike. And she did a bang up job writing for a man. I think, what was in her favor was a lot of this was narrative. While you got into everyone's head (which was awesome) the author just told you as it was. It read a lot like a really awesome urban legend ghosty tale!! I loved it!

Viewer Discretion is Advised
Now, if you look at the cover of the book that I have you see a little demon skipping along by a tree. I love that!! It made me want to read the book. So, with that being said... that will kind of give you an idea of what's in store for this family. Think Poltergeist mixed with The Exercist with a bit of The Omen.

And to top it all off..... You have a little KID!!!!

Ok... that freaks some people out... SO BE WARNED!!

Also.... for the weak of heart, bad stomachs, and just can't make it through a scary movie.... There is graphic gore in this book. In my opinion it could have been a ton worse... also the gore and the outcomes leading up to the gore made me squee (you have no idea how twisted I am)... so, if you had a problem with The Forest of Hands and Teeth then this book is not for you.

The Ending
Honest to Bob Barker... the ending made me get so super excited!! It ended brilliantly!! Exactly the way that I wanted to!! I commend the author and give her a mondo pat on the back. She didn't hold back, she didn't give into the majority... She did it HER way. And for that --- I thank her!!

For the kids?
I think a 15 year old would be fine with this book. There isn't really any hanky panky and if your kid has seen a rated R movie then they have heard cuss words (which are limited in this book).

But be warned!! If you have a sensitive child ... even a teenager.... then this book is not for them!! While the graphic content was soo soo right and good.... some teens might have a problem with it.

Why I loved it
(view spoiler)

In conclusion
If you have ever had a childhood monster, was afraid of the dark, or are just looking for a book to scare the tar out of you then Seed is the book for you!!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seed.

06/23/2012 page 52
11.3% "*cough cough cough -- MEOW!!... ZOMG! This is one of the best books I have read in a long time! I'm loving all the thriller spine tingling moments!! Having something running around the house is something I can relate to. When I was little up into my teens I had a gremlin who used to follow me. I know that sounds off, but other people can relate to this if they've had a gremlin follow them. You don't mess w/ a gremlin"
06/24/2012 page 168
36.52% "Holy crackers is this book good!! I'm seriously reminiscent of my sleepwalking brother, my little scary gremlin, and this story a co-worker told me about how the devil lived in her closet. I'm started to wonder if I went out and buried this book in the backyard if it would show back up on my nightstand ;P. You know a book is good when you consider burying it. HEHE!"
06/25/2012 page 195
42.39% "I really thought the trucker hat guy was Jesus but ... maybe not? The snowballs and water I thought were his bread and water bits.... but now I'm starting to rethink it. Wonder wonder!"

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Where did you get the burying idea at???? I know there are a few buried books in Leeds already :D

Greta is Erikasbuddy HAHA!! From you!! You're bud would have already raced into her back yard and buried this one! Heck! she might have burned it! I can't tell you how awesome this thing is!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "HAHA!! From you!! You're bud would have already raced into her back yard and buried this one! Heck! she might have burned it! I can't tell you how awesome this thing is!!"

Awesome? Is it full of Satan? You know I can't handle that guy. He scares the F*CK out of me....

Greta is Erikasbuddy Not really.... it's the build-up that's awesome. Trying to figure out what is on the otherside of the wall... and the mystery of Jack's childhood.