Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Boundless

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-romance, angels-nephilim-and-demons
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read with Rated YA-MA group
Read in January, 2013

Dear God,
I don't want to die. Not now.
Clara Gardner

This is a fairly spoiler-free review (outside of the tags), but there are some spoilers in the comments, so avoid the comments if you havent' read this.

That ending! If only I could tell you my thoughts about the ending!

For the most part, I think Ms. Hand did alright. I shamefully admit to being something of a whiny brat about the early direction of Boundless. There's such a thing as a comfort zone and I was not in it for the first half of this installment. I honestly had troubles with the new setting and turn of events. It's sort of a pet peeve of mine when series take a turn into the future, yet I still feel stuck in the past.

But what am I complaining for? Of course I was going to be taken on a wild ride. I should have known not to question what was going to happen. It's the same thing I did with book 2, and I ended up dealing with everything just fine. When I know that I like an author's style, it should give me the confidence to be able to trust what's up around the bend.

There were some new twists in this installment and even a couple of small things which managed to surprise me. The back and forth with the visions was interesting, yet frustrating at times? Maybe that was just my take on it though. Even though the use of the visions added extra snippets to the story which weren't bad to read, it all seemed like a too-convenient tool to use as a method of delivery. I'm probably nit-picking a little on that though.

If you haven't tried out this series (trilogy, really), and love for your angel stories to be more on the sweet romance-y side with an extra dash of mystery and adventure, check these books out. If you want to read something darker,'re out of luck with this particular set of books. Even though there were technically "baddies," let's not kid ourselves here - a story with villains does not always equal dark. If you're looking for something less sweet, shoot me a message and we'll talk about darker.

At the end of it all, I can say that I am happy. I am content. I am glad that I took the journey. It's a given that I'll be checking out whatever this author decides to write in the future. Plus, she mentioned Vampire Academy in this book, so I had a moment of let me love you toward Ms. Hand. I think I can support this woman.

Totally random, but I really want to know what a whiff of cloud smells like. Misty air? Cotton?

My spoiler musings for those who've finished the book : (view spoiler)

It's been a while since I've gotten stuck writing a review and I'm not quite sure how to wrap this up. Guess it's time to just bring back a simple....
53 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boundless.

message 1: by Shweta (new) - added it

Shweta Choudhary I do agree with you! I want all the series to have a cover at least little similiar to other ! I love this kind of covers!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) The writing is very pretty with the swirls.

Danielle Ohhhh!! Pretty, pretty!! :D

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ i cant wait for this! and i agree...i like the covers. it would be weird to switch them up at this point.

message 5: by Jean (new) - added it

Jean Agreed! It's really disappointing when they change things up in the middle because then you're stuck with a bunch of books on your shelf that don't match.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina That bothers me too! I've been burned so many times that now I just keep ebook copies until a series is finished so I can buy matching covers, tbh.

message 7: by Merna (last edited Jan 26, 2013 04:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Merna Not a big fan of girly covers much.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It depends for me. Some of them I like and some I don't. I get tired of the same themes over and over more than anything. I liked the pretty dress covers until you saw them everywhere. Once a theme gets worked over, it's time to try something new.

Anyway, I finished finally and it wasn't a bad series wrap-up.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian I really need to stop opening spoilers.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm guilty of doing the same thing.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian It's like putting a sign on something that says, "Don't Touch"...of course I'm going to touch it.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) Hmm I was supposed to read this book this week and only got a chapter in. I have really enjoyed the rest of the series but I have been reading so many terrible YA Paranormals lately I just didn't feel inspired. But your review gives me hope :D

Stacia (the 2010 club) I struggled through the first 40% because I didn't like that they were all off at college and out of Wyoming. I think I probably drove my reading buddies crazy with complaining. But it did end up being a good book.

I understand how bad books can have an effect on your reading mood. Usually, I switch genres if it's bugging me, until I have distanced myself long enough. If it's not working for you, no sweat. You can always come back to it later.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) Yeah the college thing was a big factor as well. But I have decided no more of this genre for a while.
I spent the rest of the week reading an all time favorite I have read too many times to count. The problem is I had promised to review this one for a blog. But if I force myself the review won't be honest!

message 15: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina at 42% right now. i hate clara. i just can't help myself, but i do.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Haha, now I'm curious to know.

message 17: by Christina (last edited Jan 29, 2013 11:20PM) (new)

Christina I agree about Jeffrey! It seemed like his purpose isn't really over? I mean I guess I didn't understand some of his pieces in the overall picture.

Nah, you didn't drive me crazy. I was complaining about Christian the whole time. ;)

Now Angela's wings are very confusing to me, though.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I guess we all have our triggers. I wanted (view spoiler)

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina That would have been nice. I didn't read the vignette between books, and I sort of want to go back and reread the whole series - see if I catch any foreshadowing or anything now that I know what happens.

Stacia (the 2010 club) He seemed to really love her in the short story. Ah well.

message 21: by Mara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mara I loved the ending, though the fact Clara and Christian couldn't even be friends was a let-down. I wanted them to stay best friends. Doesn't Tucker get a longer life tho? That would rule out a Clara/Christian romance reunion. I really wonder how Hand made it happen that you're rooting for both guys somehow. I've never had a book where I couldn't rly chose between the love interests.

message 22: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Mara wrote: "I loved the ending, though the fact Clara and Christian couldn't even be friends was a let-down. I wanted them to stay best friends. Doesn't Tucker get a longer life tho? That would rule out a Clar..."

i just finished and I agree with you about Christian, we don't get closure. I'll admit, I rooted for him the whole time. In my mind, he's happy. :)

message 23: by Richa (new) - added it

Richa Lovely review, Stacia!! :)) Adding this. :)

Aditi I'm currently reading this book and I wish I had known a buddy read was going on! Sigh.
Anyway, I've heard that Paula Weston's Shadows is one of the good angel books.
For darker angel stories, people ought to look towards Days of Blood & Starlight!

Libbie I had hopes that the unanswered stuff with (view spoiler) meant that we'd maybe get a spinoff series like Bloodlines. Author's page holds no indication of that, just her next book which is not in this world.

QiJia (On Hiatus) 치쟈 Your review makes me hunger for Boundless like NOW , Stacia!! Adding it to my endless to-read pile! :)

Devyani ..Plus, she mentioned Vampire Academy in this book, so I had a moment of let me love you toward Ms. Hand...
True that. Great Review Stacia! :)
(view spoiler)

Zemira Warner To click on the spoiler tag,or not to click on the spoiler tag. I'm not even reading reviews till my copy arrives.

Devyani ^Don't you dare go near that spoiler tag.

Zemira Warner So they are great spoilers? *crazy eyes*

I won't do it. I don't want to ruin everything. Just have to be patient for a couple more days.

Sandra Your review is my final checking point. Now I know I can start to read this series and see if it works with me too.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Aditi (READioactive Book Blog) wrote: "I'm currently reading this book and I wish I had known a buddy read was going on! Sigh.
Anyway, I've heard that Paula Weston's Shadows is one of the good angel books.
For darker angel stories, peop..."

Shadows! That is SUCH a good book. I keep saying that it reads like a mashup of Angelfall (has some of that feel of darkness) and Unearthly (has some of the romance). I was plesantly surprised by how good it was. If the series continues on a good path, it might be right up there with Angelfall.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Mara, I think you're right. I didn't realize that it was going to be that long, but I might have skimmed over that part not knowing.

Kristina, that's what I have to believe too or it makes me sad.

Thanks Richa. :)

Libbie, I wouldn't mind a spin-off for Jeffrey. I feel like there should have been more to that story.

QiJia, Zemira, and Sandra, I want to know what you guys think when you read it.

Devyani, I was frustrated overall with (view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ Wonderful review, Stacia. I agree with everything in your spoiler. (view spoiler) I have really mixed feelings about this book, but I'm happy with who Clara ended up with. I will say, out of all three, this is my least favorite.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I agree. I liked the book but wished for a little more closure.

Devyani Definitely. (view spoiler)
It would be disappointing if there wouldn't be a spin off series.

Stacia (the 2010 club) A spin off would make sense.

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ great review Stacia...i love the pic!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks! Funny story about that pic...I couldn't find anything to fit the mood and this was the closest to what I wanted. In the original pic, the girl's face can be seen somewhat, and the expression looks completely scary. So I had to tweak the lighting to hide her face and 'voila! - glory!' I guess it worked in my favor.

message 41: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review S!!:))

message 43: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara I definitely agree with your musings! I really liked the way that Ms. Hand finished the series, but I wanted more... like maybe another book in the series.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Or a spin-off, perhaps.

Kathleen Poor Christian indeed. I had a feeling it was going to end this way but still hoped it would be Christian. I agree though, there should have been more on Jeffrey and Angela/Phen. I did like Sam's part of the story though.

I think now I actually would rather have a series starting slow and then working it's way up. I loved Unearthly and Hallowed even more but this was just ok. I'm being biased I know but I can't help it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) You sound like how I felt about the Delirium series. It's frustrating when you feel like something has gone downhill.

Kathleen I still have to read that series also. Nothing compares to Mockingjay for me though. That finale was so depressing with unresolved issues and I didn't think she had to die.

message 48: by Hershey (new) - added it