Katharine's Reviews > The End of Everything

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

Jul 03, 2012

This is the first book in my 'Read Alphabetically Thru The Library Project' . The End of Everything that the author is referring to is the end of innocence. This book is about the mysterious disappearance of a 14 year old girl through the eyes of her best friend. The author is very artistic in her weaving of the story -- about what happened, how it effected the people around this missing girl, the discovery of the clues that led to the conclusion. I found the characters to be complex and fascinating. The subject matter -- the relationship of young women to father figures in their lives, budding sexuality, and trust -- was dark , and at times disturbing - but so very well crafted by the author that I almost gasp out loud at her artistry and then cringed at what happened in the story. (Maybe it's because my daughters are the same age as the POV characters.) I couldn't put this book down -- and for that it gets 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Everything.