Megan's Reviews > Life of Pi

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: mind-blown
Recommended for: the entire human race...
Read from July 31 to August 02, 2012 — I own a copy

“The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no? And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?”

Life is a story and the story of Pi Patel is one of the most extraordinary stories that I have read in awhile. The story begins before the fateful shipwreck that makes up most of the novel. Pi is a little boy who lives in India on a zoo that his father owns. Pretty much the greatest place to live as a kid is on a zoo. After watching We Bought a Zoo and reading this book I really want to live on a zoo, even though I would have a very hard time NOT petting the animals. The talk that the father gives Pi and his brother Ravi is one I would also need cause I mean tigers are just so cute!

but also deadly…

That leads to this remarkable story of how a boy manages to survive not only a shipwreck but also being in a lifeboat with a huge Bengal Tiger and several other animals. But before that all happens I found the beginning of the book quite interesting. I didn’t realize that this book dealt mainly with the theme of faith and belief. While Pi is growing up he explores different forms of faith and instead of picking one decides to be Catholic, Islamic, and Hindu all at the same time. Being Catholic I found the scene of him first talking to the priest really mind opening in a way. Pi questions a lot about the religion at first having a hard time imagining and having grown up Catholic I never asked those questions myself but when he asked them I found myself thinking, “you know now that I think about it some of this doesn’t make sense.” But that’s the point of faith I guess it doesn’t all have to make sense.

With all the changes occurring in India Pi and his family choose to move to Canada and take most of the animals from the zoo with them to sell to zoos mostly in America. On the way the boat sinks and Pi is left alone in a lifeboat with a tiger, hyena, zebra, and orangutan.

If it wasn’t for Pi’s internal conflict especially with how to deal with Richard Parker this book could have easily gotten very dry and boring as he just continues to float and going through a very repetitive day. Yet never once did this book get boring or even repetitive. While on the boat Pi has to come to face his fate, death by water or death by tiger, and also his faith. But even when things seemed the grimmest Pi never stopped fighting for his life.

“You might think I lost all hope at that point. I did. And as a result I perked up and felt much better.”

This book was very beautifully written and moving. You really connect with Pi and hurt with him and love with him. You love the tiger that at any moment could kill Pi but I really believe what Pi says that without the tiger he would have died. Richard Parker gave him a reason to live, without him Richard would die, and if Richard died he would forever be alone. The parting of Pi and Richard was pretty much heart wrenching even though it was probably for the best.

“Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart.”

My favorite line of the entire book for many reasons.

Ultimately this book is about faith and at the end about taking a leap of faith. After reading the whole book the last few chapters almost tore me apart. I don’t want to give away what happens but it just makes your heart fall. It ends with a big question mark and it is up for you to decide. Think one-way and the story changes for you and it isn’t at all what you thought it was. I decided to take a leap of faith and believe even when it seems impossible and I think that is truly what this book is about and what you take out of it is for you yourself to decide. Just like faith it can’t decide for you. Will you question and leave faith behind or let it lead you when all seems to change?

“If you stumble about believability, what are you living for? Love is hard to believe, ask any lover. Life is hard to believe, ask any scientist. God is hard to believe, ask any believer. What is your problem with hard to believe?”

I really loved this book even though the end proved to be a challenge. I would recommend it to everyone. It really is a quick read and will soon be a movie that I am very excited to see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

07/31/2012 page 52
08/01/2012 page 109
34.0% "This book is basically telling me I would die if I owned a zoo cause I would have pet the tiger by now..."
show 6 hidden updates…

Courtney Ooh I read that earlier this summer. I love Richard Parker! :)

Megan I know me too! Except I would have pet him and then would have died lol...

Kelsey Fernandez I'm glad you liked it!! :)

s.penkevich Review review!
Good book? Isn't there a film of this coming out soon too?

s.penkevich I've heard good things. I'll make my sister lend it to me ha.

s.penkevich Ha, we have a good book exchange going. I recently forced her to read some David Mitchell

s.penkevich Ooo sequels?! Excellent. He needs to hurry! I'm making it a goal to read Thousand Autumns this autumn ha. Maybe after IJ to give myself a satisfying and equally amazing comedown.

s.penkevich Yeah, that is such a beast of a novel. I don't have the time for it right now ha, but I'm riding a DFW high after reading so many of his short stories and essays so I really want to get to it.

I hope his next one is out soon. I read something about how it'll be about growing up in Ireland or something? I wonder if he is going to go back to his multi-layered/narrated novels like CA or Ghostwritten ever.

Megan s.penkevich wrote: "Ha, we have a good book exchange going. I recently forced her to read some David Mitchell"

It's really good hermano and a quick read. Yeah I think the movie comes out in November.
I will bring it up next weekend... and I will be taking Black Swan Green back with me haha and whatever else you give me.

s.penkevich Fair trade

s.penkevich Hurry!

s.penkevich I'm impatient!

s.penkevich Very impatient!

s.penkevich Type faster!

Megan Mi review esta en mi cabeza!

Megan I'm hurrying!

Megan ...slowly ;)

Kelsey Fernandez s.penkevich wrote: "Ha, we have a good book exchange going. I recently forced her to read some David Mitchell"

I have Cloud Atlas sitting right here! I'm reading it after I finish The Maze Runner!

Megan Cause I'm forcing him to read it.

Kelsey Fernandez you aren't forcing me. I'm actually really excited.

Megan ...never mind kelsey lol

s.penkevich Be excited! Be be excited!
Hope you like the book Kelsey, it has become one of my favorites.

Kelsey Fernandez can't wait Steven!

Kelsey Fernandez and great review Megan!

B0nnie Megan your review is great, so enthusiastic! I found this edition at the Goodwill last week:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

It has several illustrations and an especially nice painting of *Richard Parker* on the cover. The clerk was going to charge me $4 - but I "proved" it was a kid's book by showing her the pictures, so I only had to pay $1.49. I am a bad person.

s.penkevich Great review Hermana, good use of quotes as well. Each review has been getting better and better! Guess what? We get to pet giraffes at the zoo next week! Be very excited (Tilly is!).
So the life of Pi isn't just 200 pages starting off 3.14159... haha
Also, that video was AWESOME. Take that, deer!

s.penkevich B0nnie wrote: "Megan your review is great, so enthusiastic! I found this edition at the Goodwill last week:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Ha! That's hilarious. I want to 'prove' that the old modern library editions of Dostoevsky books are kids books because they have illustrations in them haha. Good work.

Megan B0nnie wrote: "Megan your review is great, so enthusiastic! I found this edition at the Goodwill last week:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Thanks Bonnie! That's awesome I'm gonna try that one time. That looks like a sweet edition. I need to travel to go to used book stores more often. I hope you enjoy it!!

Megan s.penkevich wrote: "Great review Hermana, good use of quotes as well. Each review has been getting better and better! Guess what? We get to pet giraffes at the zoo next week! Be very excited (Tilly is!).
So the life..."

Muchos gracias hermano! Wait, we get to PET giraffes?!?!?! OMG i'm excited haha you can probably just leave Tilly and me there.

Megan Yeah that video was sweet I spent like a half hour trying to find one, but some warned they were really bloody and I got to nervous when they went to kill the animal and turned it off haha then I found that one.

Megan Kelsey wrote: "and great review Megan!"

Gracias Kelsey, we are seeing this movie at midnight just putting it out there.

message 33: by PGR (new)

PGR Nair A review written from your heart. Loved it. Even if I may not read it, I will remember that lovely linee " nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart".....PGR

message 34: by Riku (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riku Sayuj the end challenging? :) you kid me

Megan PGR wrote: "A review written from your heart. Loved it. Even if I may not read it, I will remember that lovely linee " nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart".....PGR"

Thank you so much! That was by far my favorite line of the book.

Megan Riku wrote: "the end challenging? :) you kid me"

Ha maybe a little...

Stephen M Sweet review! I've been interested in this book ever since I heard Margaret Atwood talk about it in an interview. (this whole interview is great by the way, definitely worth watching).

message 38: by Hend (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hend Amazing review Megan!
I LOVED IT.
u encouraged me to read it.

Megan Stephen M wrote: "Sweet review! I've been interested in this book ever since I heard Margaret Atwood talk about it in an interview. (this whole interview is great by the way, definitely worth watching).

Thanks Stephen! Wow thats a really interesting and cool interview I'm going to have to watch the whole thing now. Very interesting. Thanks!

Megan Hend wrote: "Amazing review Megan!
I LOVED IT.
u encouraged me to read it."

Aw thanks Hend! I'm glad that means a lot :D I think you will really like it! It is a great book I think everyone should read it.

Carrie Love your thoughtful review, glad you enjoyed it. Makes me want to read it again.

Megan Carrie wrote: "Love your thoughtful review, glad you enjoyed it. Makes me want to read it again."

Thanks Carrie! Might as well read it again with the movie coming out soon ;)

Scarlet A great review for a great book:)
One boy and a tiger adrift on the pacific, with no scope for conversation and no change in scenery, and yet, Life of Pi manages to be a life-changing story. And your review does justice to its brilliance.

s.penkevich I like your review way more than mine.

Maryellen you review was one of the best I've read, everything i felt, especially about the ending, you put in your review! :) i chose the first story, its too heartbraking to beleive the second

Maryellen p.s. your favorite quote was wonderful, it seems like it wasnt in my version,which is peculiar cause i looked for it in the last chapters and couldnt find it,....not much was said on their seperation which kinda bothered me.i wanted a better goodbye :)

Megan Maryellen wrote: "p.s. your favorite quote was wonderful, it seems like it wasnt in my version,which is peculiar cause i looked for it in the last chapters and couldnt find it,....not much was said on their seperati..."

Thank you for such kind words Maryellen! While I believe both stories I agree with you in choosing the first which I think has a lot to say about faith. While I do not doubt the second story it is faith that has me choosing the first and how faith can help you through a horrible situation. I think that quote was right when Richard left, that's upsetting it's not in your version you've been cheated out of a great line ;)

Maryellen yes u are right :) completely cheated out of a good quote!!!i even read the last chapters to be sure, heartbreaking once again. keep on the good reviews xx
p.s. cant wait for the film too :)

Megan Maryellen wrote: "yes u are right :) completely cheated out of a good quote!!!i even read the last chapters to be sure, heartbreaking once again. keep on the good reviews xx
p.s. cant wait for the film too :)"

I know the last few chapters were just heart wrenching! Thanks again! Yeah I still need to see the film I heard it was amazing so hopefully within the next few weeks I will finally get to see it!

message 50: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle Fantastic review, Megan! This seems to be a book where a lot of people come away with greatly differing ideas and perspectives about it. I like that you came away from it thinking the same things I did, and managed to articulate it better than I could hope to. :)

s.penkevich wrote: "I like your review way more than mine."

Me too! :P