Jennifer's Reviews > 15 Seconds

15 Seconds by Andrew Gross

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: arc, bea-2012, received-for-review, received-in-2012, mystery-suspense-thriller, read-in-2012
Read from July 02 to 04, 2012

From my blog.

Amanda Hofer's life changed in just 15 seconds.

On her way to work and strung out on Oxycontin, Amanda crashes her car, killing a woman and the woman's young child.

Dr. Henry Steadman is on his way to speak at a medical conference when a series of bizarre circumstances begins to unfold. He is pulled over for a minor traffic violation, harassed by the patrol officer, arrested and placed in the back of the police car. When he is asked a series of 9-11-esque questions, he becomes concerned - what is going on here? The officer finally lets him go and as he is writing out a ticket, a car pulls up and shoots the officer and speeds away. With no witnesses, a dead police officer, and Henry as the last contact, the police are hot on his tail.

He retreats to his good friend's house for help, only to find another unsettling situation. Not knowing what to do or where to turn, Henry runs, trying to uncover the mystery as he hides out. Finding a sympathetic ear in Carrie Holmes, the Community Outreach Director at the police department who is manning phones at the hotline center, Henry and Carrie begin tracking clues to discover who is framing him and why. Carrie is recovering from her own tragedy - an accident that took the life of her husband and severely injured her son.

Gross skillfully plots a suspenseful and intriguing story from start to finish. What I found fascinating is that the initial elements of the story are actually based on fact; something that Gross describes in the Acknowledgments section at the end of the book (you can also read about it here). Something so small can truly change your life - in a matter of 15 seconds.

I loved this book. It kept me riveted to see how the plot would play out. I was not sure how Amanda and Henry were connected, if they were connected at all. Gross kept me turning those pages, wanting desperately to know how the story ended. There was only one thing that was not completely resolved for me, but if I talk about it here it will give out spoilers. So, if you have read the book and want to talk about it, let me know! But that is my reason for the 4 star rating instead of 5 stars. I just wanted a bit more detail about a particular situation. Other than that, I definitely recommend this for mystery/thriller lovers out there!

Note: This book contains graphic violence and language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 15 Seconds.

07/02/2012 page 71
07/03/2012 page 165
49.0% "Totally unrealistic, but enjoying it! Very addictive read. Once you start, you won't be able to put it down!"

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Hattie (new) - added it

Hattie Hope to win a copy.

Jennifer I'm not sure who is giving them away, but good luck! It's a fast-paced story! I really enjoyed it!

message 1: by Hattie (new) - added it

Hattie That's a good feeling.:)