Betsy's Reviews > The Lake of Dreams

The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards

F 50x66
Oct 25, 2013

Read in June, 2012

Lucy Jarrett is an unemployed hydologist living in Japan with her currently employed boyfriend Yoshi. When she receives a message that her mother has had a minor accident she returns home, not only to check on her mother, but also to check on her feelings for Yoshi and their relationship. In her hometown,Lake of Dreams, while Lucy is there, she is able to open a locked widow-seat containing family secrets that have been hidden since the 1920's.The novel moves back and forth between suffragettes,the second and third wave of immigration to globilization and enviromentalism.It's an unofficial fictionalized documentary of how history and current events shape our lives and relationships.
I found this novel to be touching and insightful. I'm not sure, having lived through this time period (50's - 70's) and having older parents who experienced the 20's and 30s,if Edwards truly captured the conflicts and emotions of her 1920's characters,although the decisions these characters made seem realistic and probable to me.I'm grateful for Edwards so accurately delinating the either or type decisions women were forced to make. If a reader under the age of 40 reads this, I'd love to know their thoughts . Did she or didn't she capture the time period? Could you feel sympathy for the 1920's characters or did they just seem self -involved to you?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lake of Dreams.

Virginia Myers Under the age of 40??? You are asking someone under the age of 40 to comment on the 1920's characters? Sorry but I am confused.

Betsy Sorry Virginia,re-reading this review, I can understand your confusion.I'll go back and edit and prehaps be more blunt. Were you,as I'm hoping you are (someone under 40) able to relate and feel sympathy for the 1920's character's decisions? In general the women I've known,have had a hard time understanding why some women of the 1920/1930's made what appeared to be heartless decisions, when it was the only practical one that could be made and in some cases more benefical to the child than it seemed.

Virginia Myers Betsy: I am not the person you wanted to reply to your question. I am a person who was born in the early 30s and lived a life of often being the first woman to ___ (fill in the blank), And I raised my daughter to also not be afraid to be the 1st - her experiences were in the military. Believe me - a woman's choices in that time period were in truth limited in various aspects of life.