Quinn's Reviews > Midnight for Charlie Bone

Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: did-not-finish, 2012-booklist
Read on June 22, 2012

I got less than half-way through this book and had to put it down. Not only is the writing terrible, but there are so many direct similarities to Harry Potter and many other British children's books that I was very tempted to whip out my highlighter whilst reading.

Also, I don't know very many children who like to read books that deal with morons. The main character, Charlie Bone, is constantly allowing himself to fall into dangerous situations - even though in the book they turn out to be just plain weird situations - such as letting a stranger into his home (and instead of letting anyone know he talks to him like he's some sort of long lost relative) and taking a strange box from a lady only to find that it ticks....and he just let's it all happen to him as though it's some magical blah blah blah instead of him being a complete moron. Kid's know they're not supposed to let strangers into their homes or take things from people they don't know. I hope the kids that read these books retain it's contents as fiction meant to stay on the page, but you know how unbelievably influenced kids get from the simplest things...

In a nutshell, the writing is god awful, the story as unoriginal as you can get, and the characters are all unbelievably dense and one dimensional.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight for Charlie Bone.