Brad Wheeler's Reviews > Diaspora

Diaspora by Greg Egan

Jan 06, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: hard-sf, science-fiction, sf-with-good-aliens, space, audiobooks
Read in January, 2014

Man, where to start? First, the bad. As a piece of literature, Diaspora sucked. The plot was generally uninteresting, none of the characters were remotely sympathetic, and the language was largely uninteresting.

But I finished the book anyway just because the ideas were so damned interesting. The main characters are all humans who live their lives in computer "polises," where they look like whatever they want and do whatever they feel like. Just getting into the headspace of these characters was weird enough, but then to comprehend their political dilemmas of solipsism versus intervention with the physical world almost made my head hurt.

And then they make contact with sixteen-dimensional creatures that only live as sentient programs within a naturally-evolved biological computer. And then they leave our universe for one with five spatial dimensions. And then, in the epilogue, the main characters take 100-trillion year journey through an incomprehensibly large number of other universes.

This book reminded me of Return to Rocheworld. Bad characters and boring plot, but the ideas are interesting enough for the book to almost be worth reading anyway. I had fun, but I don't necessarily recommend this for anyone else...it doesn't have a lot to recommend it unless you're looking for something really different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diaspora.

01/06/2014 marked as: read