Erika's Reviews > Spectral

Number of Pages: 242
Date of Release: April 10th, 2012
Source: Publisher for review
Summary From Goodreads:

Convinced she’s a part of the witness protection program, sixteen-year-old Jewel Rose is shuffled around the globe with her family like a pack of traveling gypsies. After arriving at lucky home twenty-seven, she stumbles upon a mysterious boy with magical powers claiming to be her guardian . . . and warning of imminent danger. Despite the obvious sparks between them, Jewel discovers a relationship is forbidden, and the more she learns about dark, brooding Roman, she begins to question who she can even believe—the family who raised her, or the supposed sworn protector who claims they’ve been lying to her all along.

As she struggles to uncover who her family has really been running from, she is forced to hide her birthmark that reveals who she is. With new realities surfacing, unexplained powers appearing, and two tempting boys vying for her heart, Jewel battles to learn who she can trust in an ever growing sea of lies, hoping she’ll make it through her seventeenth birthday alive.

Review: I read this book in one night. I couldn’t put it down, I needed more. The world building done was pretty spectacular. Shannon Duffy was brilliant, because she unveiled little snippets of info that then blew into huge events. The whole time while reading I didn’t know who was the bad guys. I would think I had it figured out and then BAM , info snippet!

Jewel was easy to relate to while reading, which I enjoyed. I actually think in real life the two of us could be friends. Her struggles felt like mine and I pictured myself beside her during the whole book. I’m not weird, that’s not weird people! Books can take you places and this one certainly did for me. Roman was an interesting guy that hit all the right points for me. I could not for the life of me decide if he was good or bad, until the end of the book. The emotional tension and depth added by bringing him into the story was perfect.

This novel has a ton of stuff being thrown at you at any given time, which made me hooked to it! I really have no idea how the time reading it went by so past. It was like I was transported into the book and then kicked out!! Shannon Duffy is now a new favorite author of mine and I cannot wait for her next novel! GET SPECTRAL NOW!!!!

Check Out Spectral's Website!
Spectral on Goodreads
Follow the conversation on twitter with #Spectral

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spectral.