Elena's Reviews > Cursed

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jun 22, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

Tell you what, I have a really bad opinion of Jennifer L. Armentrout, and I'm not going to deny it.
After reading "Half-blood", her pseudo-book which is really just a copy of Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, everything else she writes is kinda blown off by that.
It's kind of what happens when you read a good synopsis of a Alyson Noel book. Rare, and creepy.
So am I going to read this one? Maybe. We'll see.
It's already a lot that I put it in my to-read shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cursed.

Kayleigh {K-Books} I love Jennifer and I don't think Half-Blood is even that similar to VA. Yes there are a few similarities but it's not a copy. Lots of different things happen. And Cursed it compeltely original. It's fantastic

message 2: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Seriously? I felt like the whole book was like VA. The events were just the same.
Anyway, I'll try this one and see how it goes. :D

Kayleigh {K-Books} I didn't at all. I thought the beginning was similar but for me the second half was more original. I can see why people say it's so similar but I personally I don't see it. I kinda prefer Covenant but I have a thing for mythology books =)

Plus JLA is my fave author lol

message 4: by Ashli (new)

Ashli Highfield If you do not want to read it, and haven't read it yet, why already post something negative?

message 5: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Oh, I do want to read it. Otherwise I wouldn't have put in on my to-read shelf. And the negative part wasn't at all about the book, I was referring to the author solely.
Plus I don't see what I wrote as negative, I was just stating a premise: I don't like Jennifer Armentrout.
Maybe that will change. That's why I'm willing to try other books by her.

message 6: by Rai (new) - added it

Rai I can see why you'd think that it's similar to the VA series, but it does differ. The VA series had nothing to do with greek mythology and Rose never got any type of special powers other than being able to see the dead. Those are the major differences. Other than that, I can see great similarities btw the two series. As a whole, though, I do like Jenn's writing. I especially like her other series about aliens, the Lux series. I thought that was pretty original.

message 7: by Elena (last edited Jun 11, 2013 03:10AM) (new) - added it

Elena I honestly don't think those are major differences. Naturally Jennifer L. Armentrout couldn't write THE SAME thing as VA, so she changed the type of hero she was going to write about, and therefore the theme of the whole series. Instead of writing about Urban Fantasy creatures, she wrote about Mythology. And Rose's power was exactly that of being able to see the dead, opposed to Alex's one.
So, at least to me, the two series are reeeeally really similar. But that's just my point of view.