Sandee's Reviews > You Came Back

You Came Back by Christopher Coake

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: own-it, weird-read
Read from July 09 to 25, 2012

It was a difficult read. The author made you feel the loss and grief and craziness that comes from such a unique situation.
The cyclic memories were necessary to evoke the feeling of this haunting loss. I got that. But it seems that these flashbacks go on and on. So I skimmed those parts after I was about 1/3 into the book. It was interesting how many of the memories would take the main character back to intimate moments that he has had with both women in his life; music, sound, particular thought would all lead back to intimate relations...to a point where I thought, "Is this how a man's mind thinks?"
It all made sense to me though until the last chapter. I hated the ending, but I will not add any spoiler. I did want to throw the book across the room though...after going through a heart wrenching 'experience' with the main character, the ending was rather weird...weird indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Came Back.

07/19/2012 page 22
07/23/2012 page 280
65.0% "I hated the book at first. It wasn't my cup of tea and roiling through the pain of the main characters was such a drag. BUT that says something about the author, who can draw in readers and make them part of the story. I became invested when the story started to develop outside of the grieving and more into a possible 'ghost story.' But it is not like any ghost story I have ever read before."