Betty-Anne's Reviews > A Sense of Direction: Pilgrimage for the Restless and the Hopeful

A Sense of Direction by Gideon Lewis-Kraus

Jun 22, 12

I received an ARC in e-book format from the publisher in exchange for reading and reviewing it.

Gideon Lewis-Kraus writes a travel memoir about pilgrimages. He undertakes three very different ones. The first is the Camino de Santiago in Spain, a more traditional style pilgrimage, during which he is accompanied by a friend and meets many people along the way. The second is to 88 temples around the perimeter of Shikoku, Japan, which he undertakes mostly alone. Then the third is a single event in a Ukrainian village for the celebration of Rosh Hashanah, where he is accompanied by his father and brother.

While I generally tend to enjoy travel memoirs, it’s very possible that this book just wasn’t for me. Part of the reason for that was that the travel part of the book is more of a backdrop for the author to work out all the issues troubling him about his life. Lewis-Kraus certainly seemed to have been searching for a sense of direction. He clearly didn’t have one at the start of the book, but unfortunately didn’t seem to find one at the end either – at least not as far as I could tell.

His style of writing mostly irritated me, and I definitely did not like the author at all. The world is made up of all types, but this restless, disaffected, tired-of-the-hedonistic-lifestyle sense of entitlement that the author appears to have made me spend most of my reading time annoyed by him. He seems very proud of his ability to write long, self-indulgent, convoluted sentences. However, he doesn’t do it very well. For that kind of style to work, you have to be engaging enough to keep the reader captivated throughout and wanting to read more. Lewis-Kraus does not do that for me at all.

Ironically, the author writes extremely well about other people. When he was describing interactions with people during the Camino and Uman sections, there were moments when I found myself quite caught up in the narrative. However, just when I found myself actually interested, Lewis-Kraus once again began to ramble about himself, and I lost interest … again

A single, bright gem of a sentence pops out here and there, but in the end, that turned out not to be sufficient. I only finished the book out of an obligation to review it, and it’s not something to which I will ever return.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sense of Direction.

Jean Marie Thanks, that is exactly how I reacted. One of the few books I have read that felt like work every time I opened it. I had an overwhelming urge to take him over my knee.

Now that I paid so much for it, and feeling as I do about it, I'd like to give Dave Eggers a good spanking, too.

Wildbook Can't agree more, I feel the same way. I should have read your review before buying the book.