Elizabeth S's Reviews > Mistress Pat

Mistress Pat by L.M. Montgomery

Oct 14, 2008

bookshelves: n-misc-fiction
Read in November, 2008

Pat's story is nicely continued, and nicely concluded.

Now some general L.M. Montgomery comments, after having just read 21 of her books in the last few months. Sometimes her endings are a little too abrupt for me, saving huge reversals until the last few pages. And she is a little too focused on fatalism, or pre-destination, as she calls it, in some books. The fatalism looms largest, in my opinion, in the Emily books. Hence I'm less fond of them. I don't believe that people "can't help it" and have just "got" to be the way they are, and every girl is only "meant" for one particular boy but she takes years of breaking hearts to realize that.

I think even Montgomery realizes that the fatalism doesn't always apply, since her characters grow and learn. Some people seem to think her books are too sweet and unrealistic. But the characters have tragedies, deal with the death of both old and young, financial reverses, foolish errors, and even the little trials that nit-pick at one's peace day after day, etc. Somehow these trials are endured, lived through, and even triumphed over. Her characters know how to work, how to love, and how to really live. I like them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress Pat.