Pam Ford's Reviews > When He Was Wicked

Jun 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, romance-historical, romance-ish
Read from June 20 to 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Honestly, not my favorite book of the series, due in large part to the female protagonist, which we hardly get a glimpse of beforehand (since she's the odd Bridgerton) and because she seems only slightly mentioned in the previous books (all 5 of them). Though she was starting at a disadvantage, I must say that my dislike of her character lies in her treatment of Michael. Obviously his love for Francesca runs deep. He tries not to "covet his cousin's wife" and is a loyal friend to both, even though he is obviously struggling with his friendship with Frannie. She is supposedly oblivious to all of this, though she enjoys having a best guy friend. She likes this attention, in my option. However, years after John's death (four to be exact), she decides to remarry, but is utterly against Michael. And why? "I don't know" Which she says....over and over again. She is obviously attracted to him, but she refuses to marry, even though convention says she should. Further, she feels guilt over this with John, which to me just doesn't make sense if one really considers how much she "knows" John's way of thinking. He wouldn't want her to be happy? He wouldn't think his very best friend would be good enough?

Now don't get me wrong. This book is accurately named. Michael is thoroughly wicked...in his seduction and what he says throughout them. But if Francesca thinks as highly of them as she says, she doesn't act like it.
I just felt throughout Michael's pain of unrequited love throughout the novel. His attempts to meet her logic....her passion....her romance. And then when she still rejects him...and then changes her mind...he is goes back to being completely content with it all. All in all, the book, though accurately name (woohoo), left me wanting a better match....sadly, for Michael, not Frannie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When He Was Wicked.