Kelly Hager's Reviews > Then Came You

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner

Jun 23, 2012

Read from June 22 to 23, 2012

Then Came You is the story of four women. Jules is a college student who sells her eggs to put her dad through rehab. Annie is a young mom who considers surrogacy to help others have kids (and, also, to get her family some much-needed cash). India is a woman who desperately wants a baby but can't carry one to term. And Bettina is India's stepdaughter (they are NOT close). It won't surprise you to learn how the story comes together, right?

I'm not sure why I didn't read this book when it first came out (last year) because I'm a huge fan of Jennifer Weiner's novels. (I think Little Earthquakes is my favorite, in case you're curious.) I really enjoyed this one and it's probably now my OTHER favorite. :)

I love stories that explore the different ways families are created so stories featuring adoption and surrogacy are so fascinating to me (probably because I'm adopted myself). I'm also a huge fan of stories about women, and Jennifer Weiner's characters are always so well-written and funny. In the cases where she has multiple narrators, it's hard to pick a favorite (probably Annie, which is funny because she's basically my exact opposite). Even so, I love all four women and enjoyed this story tremendously. (And I'm kicking myself for not having read it before.)

I'm sure everyone who wants to read this has already done so because it's already out in paperback. In case you're behind like me, though, this is a sweet, fun, funny and sad story.

And now I'm sad because I have officially read everything she's written and there isn't a new book until next year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Came You.