Jaclyn's Reviews > Liar's Game

Liar's Game by Kait Gamble

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: futuristic, space-opera, net-galley, novella, arc

I received an ARC of Kait Gamble's Liar's Game via Net Galley. The novella is to be published on July 2, 2012.

Liar's Game centres around a group of space pirates following their capture of a derelict ship. The leader of this group is Aurelia Popkiss, who takes reckless risk despite the misgivings of her crew. The crew includes, Everhard (the handsome pilot), Bam (the half-machine, former soldier), Meri (the drug addicted doctor), and Keys (Aurelia's first mate, and her unrequited love).

This rag tag group of pirates have been working with each other for years when the novella begins. The group makes a good team and they have all done well for themselves in the piracy business. However, after their most recent acquisition the crew find themselves with a stowaway, Kateryn, who is not who she appears. Aurelia is suspicious of Kateryn because there are inconsistencies in her story. Aurelia believes that Kateryn is a spy sent by Aurelia's father. Aurelia's father believes that she died in a prison riot that occurred when she was visiting with her him, this prison riot ended with her being very much alive and with a new crew. However, it becomes clear that Kateryn is there for another purpose.

Overall, the novella is a short, fast paced, and fun read. The conflict ultimately centres around a crew members checkered past and it was interesting to see how that played out.

What I found a little awkward about the novella was the switching back and forth of the point of view between Aurelia and Keys. While I recognize that these are the main characters that drive the romance aspect of the novel, I didn't feel that it added all that much to the plot by reading Keys' point of view. This alternating viewpoint is a common aspect of romance-type books, but I think that length of this novella made this harder to pull off. Also, I found the dialog a little be awkward at times, especially considering how the crew called Aurelia "miss", it seemed a bit unrealistic.

In terms of the setting, I would have liked more information of the "world" that the novella is set in. Again, I realize the size of the book would make is difficult to expand more on the societal hierarchy that was obviously important to the plot.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Liar's Game and I think it would be appreciated by fans of Linnea Sinclair due to the setting and the emphasis on character dynamics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liar's Game.