Shana's Reviews > Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Oct 14, 2008

bookshelves: 4-0-stars, read-in-2008, review-copy, hachette, short-stories, short-story-collection, humor
Read in October, 2008

I laughed so much while reading this book that my husband finally gave in and asked, "What in the world are you reading?!?!" Doesn't that say it all? This quick, entertaining collection of essays by David Sedaris is FUNNY.

The book consists of 12 stories that range from darkly comic and macabre to sarcastic, witty accounts of family interactions that most of us can relate to.

The comic range of these essays means that the book will appeal to many different readers in terms of their individual sense of humor. I certainly liked some better than others, but thought the entire collection was very well-written.

My favorite essay was Let it Snow, in which the narrator's mother gets so tired of her kids when they have three snow days in a row that she locks them out of the house. The day progresses, they pound on the windows, and peer inside only to see their mother drinking a glass of wine and pretending not to see or hear them. Okay, so after reading that summary, it probably sounds like she's a neglectful parent, but trust me, to this mom, it is laugh-out-loud funny.

Others I found particularly funny and laugh-inducing were: Jesus Shaves; Dinah, the Christmas Whore; Us and Them; and Six to Eight Black Men. I could try to summarize them here, but I couldn't do them justice. If you're looking for a comical, sarcastic take on holidays, pick up this book and prepare to be entertained.

When the going gets stressful during the coming holiday season, I'll be re-reading my favorite stories from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays on Ice.