Bilgewater's Reviews > American Psycho

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Jul 25, 2007

Recommended for: fearless readers

If you're sufficiently "up" on American culture, this book will blow you away. So amazingly subtle and brazenly powerful at the same time you won't be able to put it down. Easily a required read for anyone who loves to be shocked by deep writing and multiple, overlaying, and twisting plots.

Do not approach this book as you would a King or a Koontz though; this one is not for the weak, timid, recreational reader. Like an intense roller coaster, if you're strong enough to take the punishment you will come out exhilarated and deeply satisfied. If not, your brain will probably melt and ooze out of your ears and you will walk around for months, maybe even the rest of your life trying to shake the various facets of this book from your mind.

Good writing, like good film... hell, like good anything, sticks with you and makes you think, think, and think some more until you've figured it out or collapsed with exhaustion; this brilliant novel does just that, sometimes even against your will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Psycho.

08/21/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Melissa My Professor at my college talked about this book in his class, emphasizing that it was BRUTAL! BRUTAL BRUTAL BRUTAL! Not for the WEAK!... So it intrigued me, and I read it. I can appreciate what Ellis did with the book, and found that it focused more on the 1980's era of greed, rather than the cold murders.. Sure, the main character killed a kid at the zoo... but... bah, I was just glad to see that another person found it an interesting read, as I do not think it gets the amount of credit that it should. Anyway, enjoyed your post.

Bilgewater Thanks! I agree, your professor went way over the top; four "brutal"s is too many. Your professor obviously couldn't handle it, but YOU obviously could! You were able to see deeper; you were able to see that Patrick has a violence to him that may or may not be expressed in the real world, and that his primary frustration and apparent insanity may only be a product of his relentless search for meaning and value in a society which has left him none to be found. Excellent! Melissa, your post has brightened my day. Thanks for that!