Sara (sarabara081)'s Reviews > The Loners

The Loners by Lex Thomas

Jul 23, 12

Read from July 13 to 23, 2012

You can see more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books!

4.5 stars!

Intense and heart-pounding, The Loners was one hell of a ride! I am not sure what I expected going into this novel, but this one is definitely a page-turner!

The action starts right from page one. On the first day of school there is an explosion accompanied by the sudden and horrifying death of all the teachers. A virus has infected the students which makes them deadly to young children and adults. In an effort to contain this virus from the outside world, the students have been quarantined inside what is left of their school and can be released one by one as they approach adulthood, or else suffer the traumatic death themselves. Limited supplies and food are dropped in among the students, but other than that, they are on their own.

Of course, chaos is going to ensue. This is where things really get interesting. The kids are scared and confused and quickly turn on each other, fighting to survive. I felt a Lord of the Flies meets High School vibe as I was reading this. The fighting and violence are pretty severe after the first murder spirals things completely out of control. The kids split up into different gangs: Varsity, The Pretty Ones, the Sluts, the Geeks, the Skaters, the Freaks, and everyone else made up the Loners. We follow David and his brother Will as they try to stay alive, along with Lucy. David is wanted dead by the leader of Varsity and I was constantly on the edge of my seat as to what could possibly go wrong or happen next for them!

Seriously guys, my heart was pounding throughout the entire book! I swear I had to keep stopping and think, 'WHAT THE FUCK?! DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN?!' I am pretty sure I kept shaking with nerves for the characters I had grown attached to as well! This is definitely one of those books that you really have to read for yourself though and it might not be for everyone. It is full of violence, often graphic. I must also admit that I still have a lot of questions about what exactly was happening with the outside world for it to let this situation get this bad inside the school. Like how the food drop offs were so scarce of supplies and why there wasn't better communication. But it was easy for me to overlook those things with my enjoyment of the rest of the storyline. I also expect we will be getting a lot of answers with the next installment.

Non-stop action kept this book in my hands and along with a kick-ass cliffhanger, I am DYING to know what will happen in the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loners.

07/13/2012 page 33