Ruby Tombstone [With A Vengeance]'s Reviews > Blood Zero Sky

Blood Zero Sky by J. Gabriel Gates

Oct 26, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-arcs, dystopia-utopia-anytopia-will-do
Read from June 28 to September 08, 2012

This was disappointing. There were some elements to the book that could have made for a fantastic YA dystopian story:
- A world where multinational corporations have ousted governments and every person has a company-controlled computer interface surgically implanted
- An enigmatic gay female lead, daughter of the most powerful man in the world,
- Robotic birds of death!

Sadly, these plot elements were wasted. The dystopian storyline was spoiled by the simplistic and patronising tone. The gender and sexuality issues were trivialised and unrealistic, ("Oh he's so handsome. If only I wasn't so very gay....") Worst of all, I think the ego of the writer far exceeded the quality of the writing. This was confirmed for me in the epilogue, which consists almost solely of the writer's hyperbolic praise of their own insightfulness.

It's actually mildly entertaining (and I did stick with it to the end - well, until the epilogue), as long as you don't think about what a wasted opportunity it is.

ARC provided free by NetGalley
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Zero Sky.

26.0% "This is intriguing. But I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Perhaps it's just slightly too YA for my tastes. It's definitely something a little different though."
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki Still laughing over that quotation!

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] Sorry - that wasn't quite a direct quote, but it was something along those lines!

message 3: by Wren (new) - added it

Wren is this lgbt?

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] If you mean "Is there a gay main character in the book?", then yeah. If you mean, "Is it about lgbt issues?" The answer is, no.
If you read my comments in the review - I don't think the book handles the lgbt elements very well.