Ria's Reviews > The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

F_50x66
Jun 22, 12

Read in January, 2012

Taking a line out of Goldman's book!

He claimed he loved the story (by S. Mogernstern) because his dad read it to him when he was sick. Then as an adult, he revised it, leaving out the boring bits such as Florenese history out of the story.

I read this shortly before commencing a narrative course. I liked it because it was funny, entertaining and clever. Later, during the semester break, puzzling over things like prolepsis and analepsis, extradiegetic heterodiegetic narrator and other convoluted theories besides, I reread the book. Then the whole thing started to flash before my eyes. The penny dropped; The whole structuralist theory revealed. I loved this book because there are bold lines proclaiming: "Flashforward", "Flashback", "Sorry this is me, I am speaking as myself", "My father says ... then after one thing and another, three years past."

It's just brilliant!!!!!! The story starts with the bride, who is Buttercup. Then, after a foreshadowing event, a summary and a possible end, the story shifts to Hamperdink. Point of this paragraph is: if I ever get to teach narratology, I'll use this book as a shining and entertaining example of structuralism (For the meaning of the word, google it up). So once again -- just because I can -- it's brilliant!!!!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Bride.