Jenifer Thomas's Reviews > The Bone Doll's Twin

F 50x66
Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Once

Okay, I'll admit that I was bored at first because of the book's slow start, but seeing that the book had such good reviews made me keep reading, and I'm glad I did.

Initially the story looked like the typical tale of good vs. evil. I mean, you get slapped with a prophecy the first couple of chapters. If the two wizards succeed in their mission, they will bring a golden age for their kind, but if they fail, the consequences are much more adverse. Also, weaving segments of the story's aftermath into the novel was a huge turnoff for me, since I think it took away some tension and excitement from the story's main conflict and didn't contribute much to the main story.

However, what mainly kept me reading was the development of the characters and the moral complexity of the story. Although the reader is introduced to a seemingly black and white conflict due to the prophecy, the reader is later exposed to the darker actions of the heroes and learn some of the seemingly respectable drives of antagonistic forces. Furthermore, another reason I kept reading was because I wanted to know what that damn bowl was.

All-in-all, a good beginning to the trilogy, and I look forward to reading the second installment of the Tamir Triad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Doll's Twin.