Jill Marie Swanson's Reviews > Cursed

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Feb 18, 15

bookshelves: spencer-hill-press, young-adult, arc-or-review-copy, on-the-blog, imprints-and-small-press
Read from July 11 to 14, 2012

(I received an ARC of this book from Spencer Hill Press, where I currently work as a copy editing intern. My position with the company in no way influences my review of this book)

Jennifer L. Armentrout has done it again ladies and gentlemen! Cursed is another superb work of young adult fiction. The premise is fresh and intriguing. The constant revelations and twists keep you fixed in place. I read this book in one sitting. I think her books tend to have that effect on readers. You don't want to stop until you have to.
*** That said: I would like to say that I have read more than a couple reviews saying that the premise of Cursed was not original... While I can see where there might be some merit to that (I am familiar with plot lines involving kids with abilities living together), I did not feel that way upon finishing this novel. I became committed to these characters and their story. I'm pretty sure you could nit pick any book and find similarities to other works out there. I'm just not sure why you would do that. I read for the story and the enjoyment I get out of it. Cursed kept me turning pages, and that to me means it is well written and all around exceptional. ***
I really enjoyed Ember's character. Although, her power is more a curse than a gift, Ember has an unwavering strength to press forward in her search for control and understanding. She is fiery and at times unpredictable which is something I loved about her. You get to watch her battle not only the outside forces that threaten her but also her inner demons as well. Ember must learn to accept herself and acknowledge her gift before she can be granted the control she so desperately seeks. More than a couple things get in her way. Cromwell being the foremost antagonist in her story. Her distrust in him and what he offers for others like her creates many hurdles along the way. I wasn't quite sure what I thought of Cromwell's character. I had many conflicting emotions about him. Although, I absolutely approve of where his character stands by the end of the book.
Ohhhh, Hayden. Can't forget about him. Another scrumptious muffin JLA has cooked up for our reading pleasure. His patience and confidence in Ember will melt your heart. He is a gentleman even in the most swoon worthy of moments. I am not sure he quite compares to Daemon from the Lux series, but he definitely has a delicious charm about him.
As always, there is outstanding moments of tension between Hayden and Ember. All that pent up sexual frustration, coupled with the gnawing feeling that Ember might just drown in all the deceit that is piling up, makes for an 'on the edge of your seat' type read. Not to mention, you will be dying for them to quite arguing and get on with the romance ^^ I have to say, they make a well paired couple!
I think JLA is a top notch writer! She knows exactly what to deliver to her readers which makes her books irresistible! Her fans are bound to love this book as will just about any lover of YA. I know I did.
Cursed has everything you want from a book in this genre. I am so hoping this will turn into a series! The ending leaves it wide open for another installment and there are more than a few unanswered questions. Keep it coming JLA!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cursed.

07/12/2012 page 210